REO Town Development

Comments

• Looked this up on the city website. It appears some random guy who lives in an apartment on the southeast side bought the property a bit over two years ago. Do you know if the building is still being used as an appliance store?

Looks like they've filed multiple permits within the last year for various construction, bust most of them have lapsed. What's most noticeable, however, is that the previous owners were far more neglectful having racked up multiple blight violations that the current owner had to take care of.

• Maybe it is a business, but it is an ugly one. This one and the closed store across the street really bring the rest of those two blocks down They say new REOtown stops here and look it's scary old South Washington again. I guess this is not a unique situation

• Well if it is truly a zoning violation, where could you register a complaint?

• Probably the Code Enforcement division of the Economic Development & Planning Department (https://www.lansingmi.gov/612/Code-Enforcement) or the Planning Office (https://www.lansingmi.gov/266/Planning-Office). But definitely something within Economic Development & Planning (https://www.lansingmi.gov/351/Economic-Development-and-Planning).

• Thanks for the info Mich - its not my neighborhood, but I agree with gbd that that kind of heavy construction business is out of place in that part of town. Hopefully this gets nipped in the bud.

• Thanks for the information, I will write to the city. I guess people have a right to do business but we are a zoned community and there are hundreds of zoned industrial sites in Lansing where they could locate this kind of business.

• I noticed a for sale sign outside Hack's Key Shop on S.Washington was put up Friday. I thought it was kind of strange since they had just recently moved into and renovated that building. Maybe Hack's does not own the building? The nail salon down the street looks all ready to go with each of 16 stations all set up with equipment, but it has yet to open
    On the River Trail, they are installing a nice looking wooden railing and a storm drain at the low spot. I am hoping that when they finish this project they will be repaving the River Point to Moores Park portion of the trail.
    There were lots of people shopping in REOtown Saturday, The Market Place seems to have found it's patrons. I think it is proof that more and more people like to shop in a real urban environment now and don't mind coming out in the cold weather to do so.

• edited December 2018

This is weird, indeed. Property records show the owner to be the same folks who sold the downtown shop at 222 South Grand a few years ago. The property owner's address is listed the same as Hack's, so I assume this is real estate company attached to them just for this site.

I wonder if they are going out of business? I remember when they moved that they'd talked about going into additional areas of business besides just keys and locks. Maybe that experiment failed. I hope that whoever eventually gets this property that they end up building something up closer to the street. The property records have this as having been built in 1999. I could have sworn this was an old building that'd been reconstructed.

• I think the front portion of the building is the new section. The shop seems busy enough and it does not look like they are moving. This building would be a great spot for a mid-size grocery store if Hacks did move.

• The painting has continued on the new brewery, they painted the front of the building this week. I knew they had planned to paint the whole building but it is a bit of a shame they could not keep the original yellow bricks, they had just rebuilt the cornice along the top with the original pattern of lighter and darker colors. the new paint does make the building stand out, it looks good.
    There were pipefitters working at the Sleepwalker distillery at Elm and S.Washington this week, pointing some progress there. This spot seems small for a distillery when you consider the size of the one on Larch and the new one on Shiawassee, maybe they are using the basement as well.