General Westside/Delta Township/Eaton County Development

Comments

• Rebuilding and taming W. Saginaw/Oakland from underground up, all the way from Frandor to Grand Ledge would be a great thing for Greater Lansing. It is a state highway so perhaps a regional plan could be funded by the state. That is the corridor I could see a trolly line or dedicated bus lanes.
    The plantings and Mums look very nice downtown by the Motor Wheel as does the sculpture on the west side.

• Thanks for the info and corrections folks! Just a couple of updates to add...

The building at 6100 W Saginaw looks to be under renovation, rather than being torn down completely. Still no indication of what is going in there...

There is some major renovation going on at the corner of Saginaw and MLK; it looks like Sparrow has torn down that ugly steel beam parking structure, and has painted the 70's highrise on the corner!

• Yeah, but they painted it a hideous blue! :( That was my childhood doctor's office, BTW. Lots of good memories from the little gift shop on the ground floor. :)

• I used to go there when I was a starving student, back in the day the Ingham County Health Department was there and provided health services to low-income folks for free if I remember correctly. The Health Department was thought of as one of the best in the state.

• edited May 2019

The hotel at Saginaw and Canal will open next week. The name "Hilton Garden Inn Lansing West":

$5M Hilton Garden Inn, Blume restaurant to open next week in Delta Twp.

DELTA TWP. - More than two years after it began to take shape on Saginaw Highway near the Interstate-96 interchange, a five-story hotel and restaurant is scheduled to open its doors next week.

The $5 million Hilton Garden Inn, which also houses Blume, a 64-seat restaurant situated on its ground floor, is set to open Wednesday.

A Days Inn on the property, vacated four years ago, was demolished to make way for the property's redevelopment. It was also once home to Roxy's Night Club and North Pine Grill, a restaurant.

The 88,000-square-foot hotel features the restaurant, a pool and spa, a fitness center, ballroom and 143 rooms. Room rates range from $119 to $179 a night.

The restaurant:

Blume, which is located on the first floor of the hotel, is a farm-to-table-style restaurant created by Group 10 Management.

It's the second Blume to open in Michigan, Murley said. The first is located inside Troy's Hilton Garden Inn.

The menu features appetizers, salads, sandwiches, steak burgers, steak, ribs and salmon, along with a full bar.

"The menu highlights smoked meats, a lot of salads," Murley. "Everything is freshly made and the majority of the ingredients are going to be local."

It'll be open for breakfast and dinner.

• I realize there are plenty of other options around there now (so I'm not sure another hotel is really needed), but the Ramada next door to this is also in desperate need of replacement or redevelopment. We stayed there about a year ago and it is really tired and worn out, inside and outside. Very little traffic when we were there.

• edited May 2019

Does anyone know what's happening with the land across from the Rainbow Child Care Center on West Saginaw Hwy? I couldn't help but wonder what the deal was on that huge lot.

• I wasn't aware of anything happening there currently but I vaguely remember reading that the township was pushing for a mixed use/town center type of development on that land awhile back, more than a few years ago. I think it was around the time they were doing some grading and site work there. Is there some new activity going on there?
  • Thanks for the info! And no, there isn't any new activity there that I can tell. I drove past that way the other day and noticed that the day care had finally opened, and was just curious if anything had been planned or mentioned

• edited May 2019

Only thing I can find is that there is a sewer interceptor cleaning bid Delta Township placed for Carrier Creek which runs through the site. The bid was due back earlier this month. I don't know if there is where the sewer interceptor is, but I know a significant portion of this parcel is a major part of the county drain commissioner's projects in the county.

Anyway, one of the Eyde's own it. Township records shows that the shell company for the site was completed exactly 20 years ago, and that it has gone through any sales or transfers since. I imagine the Carrier Creek is a big hinderance to development.