New McLaren Greater Lansing MSU Hospital

Comments

• There's already a mobile crane on site, not sure if it's the one in those FAA approvals. I also found a webcam of the project:

http://webcams.christmanco.com/McLaren-Greater-Lansing-Replacement-Hospital
  • I'd posted the webcam back on February 19th. That definitely looks like one of the cranes. I'm also glad they refocused the camera, for a good few weeks it was out-of-focus.

• Wow that is amazing research work there! Do you have a way to get notified of new clearances or do you just occasionally to check that site?

• edited May 2019

Just check the site from time to time. Ha! Speak of the devil, the LSJ has a story up:

Structural steel going up at site of new McLaren hospital in Lansing

LANSING - Working in a steady drizzle, workers used a massive crane to hoist the first steel beam into place for McLaren Greater Lansing's planned $450-million campus in southeast Lansing on Wednesday morning.

The beam is part of 3,200 tons of structural steel that will be needed to support the nine-story facility in University Corporate Research Park.

All 5,200 pieces of steel should be in place by the end of the year, McLaren officials said. The hospital is on pace to be finished by early 2022.
    Iron workers prepare to set the first steel beam at the site of McLaren Greater Lansing's new 240-bed hospital Wednesday morning, May 29, 2019, at University Corporate Research Park between Collins Road and US 127. More than 3,200 tons of structural steel is being used to build the new hospital.Buy Photo

Iron workers prepare to set the first steel beam at the site of McLaren Greater Lansing's new 240-bed hospital Wednesday morning, May 29, 2019, at University Corporate Research Park between Collins Road and US 127. More than 3,200 tons of structural steel is being used to build the new hospital.

"It's an exciting milestone," Austin Holcomb, McLaren Greater Lansing's facilities director, said in a news release. "People driving by on the highway will begin to see the new hospital quickly taking shape."

• I'm somewhat surprised to steel and not concrete for the structure. This is going to go up a lot faster than I thought.
  • edited May 2019

It's typical in things like hospitals that you need long floorplates, and in that case, steel is the usually the only practical material.

Concrete wouldn't have been practical for these spans, or at least less so. I'd always likened this one to the Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building (ISTB) going up at MSU, which has a lot of long floorsplates for things like laboratories and such.

• I had to go out to Okemos for an appointment which was in the Jolly and Okemos road area and this first time I have had reason to go there. Looks like a large hotel is going up out there. Anyway, I went home via Collins Road and Forest Road. They have already erected a lot of steel beams at the hospital site. This building will have a uniquely Lansing venue with all the activity of a big hospital and 127 on one side and the pastoral peace and beauty of the horse paddocks and fields across the street. I think that is pretty cool.

• Is this picture from the driveway of The University Club?