New McLaren Greater Lansing MSU Hospital

Comments

• I can actually see it from my office downtown Lansing
  • Horrible quality, but this is what I see from downtown.
    vjqnrhw2xfak.jpg
  • Wow that is awesome how visible it is from downtown.
  • To give you an idea of the height of the hospital, it will be almost exactly as tall as City Hall:

4365740646_51a7e4b481_k.jpgLansing City Hall and Police Building by Michigan State Historic Preservation Office, on Flickr
  • Great picture it makes Lansing look hilly! Do you work in the Grand Tower building? I see that awful comm. tower in the foreground. At least the lights are better on that thing and it doesn't strobe flash anymore. The new hospital looks kind of "mod" in design like the City Hall.

• Not Grand Tower, I'm about a half a mile west of Grand Ave on the SW edge of downtown.
  • OK, I guess that isn't the comm.- tower on River Street in the photo. I often wonder why some towers just have blinking red lights and some have brighter flashing white lights. Seems like the WILS tower is as tall as River Street but it has red lights. Even with the dimmer lights the folks who live in the rear of the Washington Apartments and the REOtown Apartments must have to keep their curtains closed at night to keep the flashing out. I only see the top light which is not so bad in my apartment but there is another flashing light in the middle of the River Street tower the would flash directly into the upper story windows that face it. Sorry, wandering off-topic!
  • No, that is very much the tower on River Street you see to the left in the photo. As he said, he's in the southwest of downtown and this must be looking almost directly southeast. I know he doesn't want to give his location away, but I have my guess, so the orientation of the photo makes sense. You can also see one of the towers of the new Central Substation right in the middle. Your building would probably right off to the right in this photo.
  • Thanks, the River Street tower is different than most. It looks like the new hospital is at a slightly higher elevation in the photo, maybe this is part of the "Mount Hope" area of higher ground. If you are traveling east on Penn. Ave stopping at Mt. Hope you can really see that the Mt. Hope area is quite a bit higher [of course] than the river/ rail crossing and on to 496 and downtown. I think the area topography is interesting because Lansing looks so flat from above, it is fun to find that it's not so flat. It really does not matter but I think the poster may be in the Cass Building or maybe the 400 S. Pine Street building.
  • Yeah, Sycamore Creek sits in a broad, shallow valley, and the zoom highlights it. The biggest dip you can see visually is on Cavanaugh between Penn and Aurelius. Between Aurelius and the railroad tracks, the elevation drops nearly 30 feet, and between the railroad tracks and Penn (and even shorter distance) the elevation rises nearly 30 feet. The Mason Esker runs through this part of the city from down near Mason all the way up to Bancroft Park. A lot of it was excavated for gravel pits, but some of it still remains.

The land the hospital sits on is actually the average for the area: around 860 feet. This is about the elevation the capital sits at downtown. So it's just a lot of little rises and dips in between.