Frandor

2»

Comments

• I saw the story in the City Pulse, my thought about Lansing is that we do a lot for the homeless, but there are still some folks out there. the numbers don't seem to be overwhelming, that is why I don't think anyone in Greater Lansing should be "homeless" mentally lost, or have to use a bus shelter for a place to sleep. They turned the South Lansing Holiday Inn into a ten story self storage building to store our junk, I think we could use a similar building to house our people who should rate higher than junk. Sorry rant!
  • edited October 2022
    I don't understand the issue, /r/lansing was pretty sanctimonious about this as well. Of course Frandor doesn't want homeless people sleeping and defecating in the shelters, and I can't imagine CATA users are happy to use the shelter either if there's sketchy stuff going on (past or present) in the shelter.
    I don't know exactly what the answer is when it comes to our homeless population, but I feel confident that I don't want us to just accept them taking over public and private spaces. I've seen how that works out west, and we don't want that here.
  • edited October 2022
    But, that's not actually what is happening anywhere to the degree claimed - even the accusers could not provide evidence of a consistent issue. And you can tell you don't ride the bus if you think removing shelters and benches this isn't a big deal for riders, particularly elderly riders. This was one of the dumbest moves a business owner has made in quite a few years when it comes to CATA, and it showed in that he thought he had to put his tail between his legs and offer concessions days after the story broke.

Patrick Corr thought he'd bust out his 'greatest hits' anecdotes to justify this and his ass got checked, and I hope he gets checked harder for this. All the business he claims he's losing due to this 'issue' he will now definitely lose to boycotts. I hope his little anti-homeless people crusade was worth it. lol Literally picking a fight with a literal island in the parking lot not even in front of any shops or stores. BYE. lol
  • So, I'm not trying to cause a heated debate here, but how bad would it be for the stop to be on Michigan. From my background with planning, it seems like that could be more ideal. It would also get it off private property, which will always cause problems. I'm surprised that CATA has some of their bigger stops on private property actually.

I don't know enough about Corr, but there was just an article about people randomly shooting guns late in the night at Frandor. I'm not saying it's the bus stops at that hour, but could there be legit claims from the businesses that are there? Maybe he is just looking to blame? Not saying it's right, just trying to put things together.

I'll admit, I don't use the busses...so I can't vouch for anything at the actual bus stops. I'd love to, but their routes are absolutely horrible.
  • edited October 2022
    n/m
  • Maybe they could install doors on the shelters that could only open with a bus fare card, which could also be closed after hours. Like others have pointed out I have never seen anyone sleeping or using the shelter for a toilet. I do ride downtown just for "fun" once in a while, you can really take a nice long look out the window not driving and I like to visit the downtown library. Today I saw a crew cleaning the shelters along Grand River Ave in EL, so the do look after them, maybe the owners of Frandor should ask the cleaning crews if this really is a big problem. Since Frandor is an out door shopping center in the middle of our urban center just like downtown EL and Lansing there are going to be all kinds of people on the streets, unlike a enclosed indoor mall, I think everyone has a right to be there, as long as no harm is being done everyone has to sit down somewhere. I think people with guns and shooting them all over our city is a far more important issue for community.