Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• I agree with J as to which building the hotel is. It's hard to say how tall it will be, but I think it's safe to say it will be at least six floors. The Radisson is 256 rooms by comparison and from what I can tell it also has a considerably smaller footprint than the one in the site plan.

I'm pretty sure the white thing that crosses Michigan is an elevated crosswalk.

As for the Frandor owners, I'd agree that they are simply greedy and want to fight to pay as little of their share as they can. In their defense, they will need all the money they can get to begin redeveloping their properties.
  • The lawsuits from Lansing Township and the owners of Frandor have been thrown out again, on the same grounds that they were thrown out in July. East Lansing agreed to drop their lawsuit before it could get thrown out.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2014/10/01/judge-tosses-lawsuits-red-cedar-drain-project/16552901/
  • Great to hear, this is one project that I actually think will get done in a reasonable time frame unless the courts hold it up.
  • edited November 2014
    Red Cedar development agreement signed today:
    Lansing's Red Cedar project moves forward

It will be interesting to see the time frame on all this and whether the project is built in stages (likely). It would be nice to see some street-level renderings other than just aerials.

A City Pulse article from earlier this week describing some of the drainage work that needs to be done:
    Red Cedar? Maybe soon
  • The main challenge is keeping undergrads away.

There are a many housing developments around Lansing and I find it difficult not to think that modern housing supposedly designed for young professionals and families will end up full of undergrads who can afford it.

Also, I hope this project doesn't end up being a large housing development with no sense of community.
  • Why should this project keep undergrads away? It's one of the best locations for them. I would much rather see undergrads living in the Red Cedar development than in Chandlers Crossings our out by Jolly and Dunckel.
  • There's a rendering with one floor Eastwood-like buildings along what looks like the developments main street: WILX Red Cedar story

red+cedar+renaissance+1.jpg
  • The intent of this project, from a regional development standpoint, is to attract professionals and families near Lansing and East Lansing. Its alright that some students live there but if this project becomes a predominantly student community not attractive for professionals and families then the project will be a failure in terms of regional development. Also, there are plenty of developments in downtown Lansing that I find more attractive for students.

Still, regardless who lives there, I hope this project meet the expectation of strengthening the connection along Michigan Avenue.
  • I think that's a fair point and a reasonable expectation. The more the student/non-student populations can start to live together, the better for the city and region. Right now there is still a pretty strong divide (at least in East Lansing) between the student areas and the permanent-resident areas.
  • I do agree the ability for students and perm residents to coexist is a key for this development and for the region. I think the kind of students they seek to accommodate with this development may work, because they probably want to attract grad students, or doctoral students (more mature) along with the perm residents like young professionals, retiring baby boomers.