General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited October 2016
    There also renovation going on in one of the storefronts next to the bike shop down the block.

GB,

I was just looking through the city council agenda for tomorrow. Apparently, this renovation will include space in the basement for offices, retail/commercial space on the ground floor, 2 "micro" apartments on the second floor, and a 2-story apartment on the top floor and roof. The building was designed by famous local architecture Darius Moon. Sounds like they are going to pack a lot of stuff into such a thin building.
    There is some sort of renovation going on at the former bank? building next to the tracks on the north side of Grand River in Old Town. Does anyone know what might be going in there.

Sounds like another bar is going in named "Replay Tavern" according to the city council agenda. Also, another bar is moving into where Brannigan Brothers was at 210 South Washington Square.

Finally, looks like the final street construction has been completed for Phase 4 of College Fields, which is the part of Lansing out in Meridian Township just north of Okemos High School. It's basically detached condos with some townhomes built around a golf course. It was supposed to be developed years and years ago (it was "annexed" in 1999 with a 425 Agreement) but hit some snags, and is never talked about in the media. But, apparently, they've already built condos in other phases so something must have restarted it. The streets are the extension of Carnoustie Drive and the Ballybunnion Way.

This phase is The Vista (#6). Aerials show that only #7 (North Pointe) and #4 (The Village Townhomes) have not started construction. There are 250+ homesites in total.

siteplan.jpg
  • Thank you for the info. Replay sounds like a sports bar of course. I was hoping for a nice sit down restaurant, but it is always good to see a nice old building in use. I did not know the building down the street was a Durius Moon building, he had quite an imagination, and built beautiful kind of fancy buildings. All of Old Town was the "bad" side of town for so long it was overlooked during the destructive urban renewal years. How fortunate we are for those bad old days, keeping the wrecking ball away from buildings like that one.
  • I think Replay Tavern might actually be a retro-gaming style bar, with pinball machines and old arcade machines. At least I hope so! :)
  • I suspect you googled it? Their barebones Facebook page does, indeed, speak of it as a bar and arcade.
  • No, didn't google it, but I think I remember reading something about it before. They're related to Replay Entertainment from East Lansing, right?
  • From the October 24th council packet:

Someone is applying for an OPRA certificate for one of (IMO " the") nicest building in Old Town. It sounds like a fairly extensive renovation also:
    The project is a property owned by Looney Moon, LLC located at 204 East Grand River
    A venue is a Darius Moon building built in 1890. This three story Romanesque revival style
    building is the last to be renovated in the 200 block in Old Town. The building requires a
    total rehabilitation. The renovation will, to name a few, include: All new plumbing and
    sewer connections, new basement floor and flooring throughout, new drywall and insulation,
    new (top to bottom) back wall, new storefront, new windows, new electrical and HVAC,
    new interior staircases and a new roof. The finished 6000 sq. ft. project will have office
    space in the basement, commercial/ retail space on the first floor, 2 micro apartments with
    mui-phy beds on the second floor and 2 two story, one-bedroom loft apartments on the third
    floor and roof.
  • Hood, posted this yesterday. :)
  • That would be cool if it was a sort retro arcade/bar. I hope that retro is part of the thyme as opposed to an adult Chucky Cheese. Out east I tended bar in a little basement bar that had pinball, ping pong, pool, a couple of bar top adult video games, even a old pac-man video game and a jukebox. People really loved it, and spent a lot of time and money down there.

The Moon building project sounds great. I have a photo of that building from 2011 when I was here for a visit, almost the whole building was vacant. Old Town has really come a long way even since '11. I have found in traveling that the "Old Town" is always the place to visit, and seems to be the place were people {humans} feel the most comfortable. Perhaps developers should consider the scale of "Old Town" architecture, and design than will create more comfortable places for people, not just some sort of architectural statement.
  • edited October 2016
    A fairly major expansion in Mason. Auto parts supplier Gestamp is going to build a 150,000 square foot, $105 million expansion at their site down on Kipp Road in the south end of Mason. The current factory is 550,000 square feet and the current operations supply a full quarter of Mason's taxes. It's always great to see all of the towns around Lansing do well, too.

BTW, a photo showing the construction work ongoing at Capitol View:

CvOH8ycWIAAeQDS.jpg
  • I'd known they were renovating this building a bit further down Cedar, but I had no idea Dicker and Deal was moving, altogether. I know the neighbors of the old store must be happy as it had very limited parking. But, it makes me wonder what's going to go in the old building if anything? As difficult as parking must be I had to see the old building brought down.