General Lansing Development

Comments

• Yeah, the driveway sacrifices about 3-4 parking spaces on Washington.
  • An article from today's LSJ, it doesn't say much worthwhile, but it does mention the expansion of the Law Library.

Cooley helps shape Downtown Lansing's growth
  • Ok, now I'm seeing it. It's really rather inconspicuous.

While I was reading the article, I couldn't help but think that given the demand (and it's very real) that at least part of the Knapps could be converted into student-oriented housing, or even perhaps housing could be built on the place of the gravel lot and that they could connect all of the buildings into a multi-use complex.

BTW, the Chiller Plant on Pine near Allegan is finally starting to go above ground. There's already some steel up.
  • Yeah, I've noticed the chiller plant, it's a bit taller than I was expecting. I hope they make it look decent, it looks good in the rendering but it's sort of hard to tell.

I do hope that Cooley could buy Knapp's, that may be the one realistic idea that could happen in the near future.
  • Yeah, I remember being told by the BWL that the thing will be, 12,600 sq ft, four stories, and 50 feet tall, though, that height sounds like an estimate.
  • This was published back on Sunday, but I missed it because I didn't read the paper that day, but apparently Lansing is trying to resurrect the Lansing Center expansion proposed years ago. They are including it in their request for the nation-wide stimulus which looks to be passed soon:

Communities set their sights on millions in stimulus cash

I didn't know the city had kept this one on the backbunner.
  • edited January 2009
    I didn't see that one coming, I wish I could here more details on this. There are some other very interesting sounding items on that project wish list. I copied the list for Lansing:

(city / project / money requested / jobs created)
    Lansing Wind turbine deployment $7,000,000 55
    Lansing Solar energy deployment $2,000,000 24
    Lansing Moores Dam hydro north turbine rehabilitation $1,975,000 25
    Lansing North Lansing Dam hydro refurbishment $2,450,000 24
    Lansing Landfill gas interconnection $2,000,000 12
    Lansing Biomass injection system $2,000,000 24
    Lansing Biomethane fueled gas turbine generation $32,900,000 325
    Lansing Smart grid investment $12,500,000 26
    Lansing Sodium hypochlorite generation system $1,500,000 20
    Lansing AMI metering infrastructure $21,000,000 180
    Lansing Biodiesel cofiring existing conventional coal $2,800,000 57
    Lansing Drinking water infrastructure energy efficiency $6,500,000 170
    Lansing Distributed drinking water infrastructure $84,000,000 500
    Lansing Fleet replacement - hybrid electric vehicles $4,600,000 380
    Lansing Hybrid bus acquisition (10) $6,220,000 0
    Lansing Expand/renovate bus storage facility $4,500,000 50
    Lansing Jackson national life expansion $2,000,000 800
    Lansing Deluxe Inn mixed use redevelopment $1,000,000 50
    Lansing Green zone riverfront development $25,000,000 500
    Lansing Lansing smart zone biobusiness incubator $2,000,000 50
    Lansing Lansing downtown smartzone business incubator $2,000,000 75
    Lansing Information Technology Empowerment center $3,000,000 50
    Lansing Museum Drive mixed use redevelopment $20,000,000 150
    Lansing Downtown karp mixed use redevelopment $1,000,000 30
    Lansing Capital club towers $2,000,000 100
    Lansing New city market/mixed use development $3,000,000 200
    Lansing Lansing convention center expansion $30,000,000 100
    Lansing Local Street rehabilitation $6,000,000 90
    Lansing Safe Routes to School sidewalk gap closure $3,000,000 40
    Lansing Major street rehabilitation $4,000,000 60
    Lansing Critical infrastructure and technology $342,000,000 0
    Lansing Lansing School District school building infrastructure and technology $67,148,189 0
    Lansing Replace student buses with energy efficient units $6,375,000 0
  • At the Downtown Neighborhood Associatin meeting yesterday LCC's VP of Public Relations talked about their being work done to replace the surface lot at Shiawasee and Capitol (I think) with a new Science and Technology building for their expanding programs...I can't remember clearly (I should have taken notes but didn't) but I think he said that's high on the priority list for State Government capitol spending this year.

Also, Bob Tresizde (spelled wrong I know but I'm too lazy right now to look it up) talked about alot amomg which he mentioned that the Ottawa project is their highest project priority right now after Accident Fund. He also spoke about the Capitol Club and he said something along the lines that he honestly expected it to get put on hold because of economy/credit market and to his surprise Elliot is adament that they break ground this spring (I think he said April). He also said the $120k for market studies for the performance center is officially on hold because of the economy (the mayor's office thinks it would be a bad signal for them to be sending right now...worrying about a performance center when the economy is so bad and so many people are out of jobs). However, he said as opposed to 10 years ago, the Wharton Center has done a 180 on it's attitude about a downtown performing arts center. He said 10 years ago they viewed it as a competitor and now they see a ~1,900 seat center and a 400 seat theater in the city center project as a trifector of places that could work harmoneously. Bob said they see a downtown center as a "Wharton Center West." He mentioned the possibility of the Lansing Symphony Orchestrated playing more at a downtown center to give it a better schedule so Wharton wouldn't have to squeeze it in between Broadway shows.

It was a really good meeting and I'm dissapointed with myself and sorry to you guys that I didn't go with a pen and paper in hand to take notes...there was information I can't recall the details for that would be worth posting. I would encourage others to attend next year (speakers included LCC's VP of Public Affairs, Brian Jeffreys, Bob Tresize, Mindy Biladeau (PSD), and a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head...and they all took questions)
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks for reporting back.

BTW, the Science and Technology replacement is to go across Shiawassee on the surface lot behind the North Capitol Avenue Garage.

Yeah, what's been giving me pause about Capitol Club is that they've not even torn down the buildings at the site. That should have been done months ago if they were absolutely sure they were going to put this up. Until I see the buildings come down, my opinion is that it's more likely than not that this will fail. And, the Lenawee is probably totally on hold, now, though, I doubted that one from the very beginning.

I'm thinking the smaller stuff (Ottawa/Butler) has a chance of making it.

Lastly, the BWL is finally rebuilding its cooling towers at the Eckert Station. They've removed the temporary ones, and the steel skeletons are now up.
  • As much as I came off as a "sky is falling" kind of person with the City Market, I'm not too worried about projects being put on hold right now. As long as the Accident Fund and new City Market are built, I think we're doing very well. With the economy as it is right now (LA has higher unemployment than Lansing), no projects are going to be moving forward. Most development projects in Manhattan are cancelled, the Chicago Spire which construction already began on is officially on hold for now...so honestly, if the Ottawa project happens at all right now it is truly a testament to how well Lansing is doing and how well it will emerge when the recession clears.

So even if Capitol Club ends up being put on hold, which right now I expect it to not as a result of Lansing's dire condition but as a result of the national/global dire condition, I expect it will come back on line shortly after the credit market stabilizes.