General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Just some things I noticed on my walk tonight. The Lansing Brewery murals are looking great.

a4jkl.jpg

29e2k9x.jpg

It looks like they're building a concrete slab on the corner of Kalamazoo and Cedar in the Marketplace Apartments lot. Looks like it could be a permanent sign going up.

And finally, the old Capital City Books Building is almost done being converted into a Domino's. Looks well decorated and quite nice. It certainly make The Runway in the Knapps Center look much less lonely on that street.
  • Yeah, the murals on LBC are the saving grace. They look even better in person.

I think your meant Shiawassee and Cedar, BTW, but, yeah, it looks like they may be putting up a sign.

Thanks for the photos!
  • ...And the Lansing Brewing Company continues to impress. Any idea when they'll be opening?
  • I was just out at Frandor, this evening. On the east side of the mall along the walkway/sidewalk they've planted trees; it might just be in front of Krogers, I wasn't paying enough attention. It's a little thing, but it makes an instant visual difference. I've been arguing forever that they need to green that massive surface parking lot, particularly given that it's never full even during its busiest times. This is a start.
  • The Dominos relocating from near Saginaw and Butler will open in its downtown location at the old Capital City Books building next monday.

B9318402280Z.1_20150810112130_000_GCIBJC9CV.1-0.jpg
  • With Sun Country pulling out of Capital Region International October 1, American Airlines wants to take over their flight to Reagan International in D.C. and add three Chicago flights. This would retain a direct flight to d.c. which is the second most popular destination from Lansing. This destination should never be in danger, so while I'm glad someone wants to save it, I'd like to see the airport get better funding (so much of air travel is subsidized, but that's just how it is) so we don't ever have to wonder.
  • edited August 2015
    An August 31st public hearing has been set for the rezoning of the plot of land at Cedar and Syringa on the southside in the Old Everett neighborhood. This is the greenspace (with the big, beautiful pines/firs) directly south of the McDonalds. Anyway, as we'd discussed some weeks back, owner Richard Rashid wants a rezoning from Professional Office to Local Shopping. But, some restrictions are being added into this which include a natural barrier kept between the property and residential property to the west, and the uses of dispensary, liquor store, and fireworks store is prohibited. Lastly, any driveways which open on to Syringa much prohibit westward travel (into the neighbrohood).

BTW, playing around with Bing Maps while looking at the property, again, I am JUST now finding out that once Washington Avenue turns southwest-ward at Mount Hope, the division between east and west then becomes Forest Avenue, which continues for 8 to 10 blocks south until Willard. From there, the dividing line jogs about a half-block to the west hitting the Ingham Regional Medical Center before becoming Stabler Street, which travels south for quite a few blocks and ends a block south of Cavanaugh. From here, the line never changes, but cuts straight through some backyards. From there to the border it seems to only match up with one more street (Coulson Court) to the city border.

I guess I'd never paid attention. I was under the impression that after Washington travels southwest that the dividing street became Cedar. Come to find out, at least technically, the southeast side of the city includes a few blocks west of Cedar. lol
  • The Michigan Avenue mural project launched a crowdfunding campaign. A bit more to it than I thought. The project is calling for revised green space under the bridge and multi-colored lights in addition to four murals.

Here's some images from the page:

2nbx9pz.jpg

m9anwn.jpg
  • I have been thinking about this overpass and the Michigan Ave bridge for a long time, I really like the plans the have for the area and have chipped in. I was wondering one thing about the drawing the seem to depict a blue and gold color scheme, unless it is to honor the Eastern High Quakers, I think they may want to choose another set of colors, maybe not green and white but not blue and gold. The Michigan Ave bridge downtown is a brutal-est remnant of the North Washington Sq. mall which was all cast textured cement. It was rebuilt after the mall and was meant to match. The mall was a failure as a place kind of crazy when you look at it from today no one ever used it there were no more shops and or reason to go there. The bridge was planned to be more ornate with flagpoles and plantings at each end. It would seem that they are not going to replace the siding so why not put big flag poles along both sides with big nice plantings on each end. Maybe even have flower boxes all along the walls that could have vines that fill in the textured cement. Light up the underside of the bridge with lights that frame the river passing under. Get rid of old signage from the seventies it look really bad. It would be cool if they under lit all the downtown bridges, like in Amsterdam. It would be nice if they made the walk over 496 on S Washington a nice place to walk instead of being exposed to the elements hot sun cars rushing by below, it kind of makes me have vertigo on a hot day. some sort of fencing maybe with vines growing that would arch over the side walk to provide shade. Maybe a row of tree in planters in the unused lanes on each side. It would be great if all the bridges of 496 were flower bridges people zooming by might want to stop and see what is going on in Lansing.I think trees trees trees and flower flowers and more flowers would add a great deal of interest in our urban forest and garden were we work and live. Poeple would come just to see the trees and flowers.
  • Have you seen the great mural the are putting up in REO town on the Quality Dairy Plant, check it out it is beautiful!