General Lansing Development

Comments

• Is this the pillar that they are talking about?

-ac0017a35c32bca4.jpg
  • edited August 2015
    Yes. Here's a photo I took years ago when it was in slightly better shape. You can barely make it off in the lower left corner of the photo:

223416222_68dbd3a5e5_z.jpg?zz=1
    Former Downtown Lansing YMCA Building by NewCityOne, on Flickr
  • @gbinlansing, if you're interested in pictures of the old REO plant my first post in the 'Lansing history' thread has some pictures, more from the same source can be found here: Diamond REO Motors plant - Library of Congress
  • edited August 2015
    Big new development for the Impression 5 Science Center. They will be building a $600,000 two story water exhibit meant to teach children about water transportation and the effects of it.

x5wgh3.jpg

Fox 47 - Impression 5 Science Center
  • Article and photo on the Marketplace Apartments statue (at Cedar and Shiawassee) mentioned earlier:

22-foot sculpture erected in Lansing honors workers
  • You all will have to forgive me for seeing the irony in Pat Gillespie putting up a sculpture honoring workers. lol I mean, from what I can gather, while he's certianly not like some arch-villain of the labor movement, He's had more than one high-profile fight with the community here in Lansing over labor practices. It's actually a little insulting. Anyway, don't want to get much into it, but he's probably one of the last people who should be putting up a sculpture like this.
  • I have not lived here long, but lets just say I think people should be treated fairly while working, and I do not understand why a developer would want to have a bad reputation for labor practices in a town like Lansing. I like that he does seem to care about Lansing beyond just making a buck. It cost money to erect a sculpture like this one no matter what the sentiment behind what the art work means, some one just making a buck would not do that. As a MSU art major I'd have to say it is a bit literal, it is what it is, but looks good in it's spot and it's size some what over comes the simple design which make it cool to look at. If it evokes memories and honors our hard working forefathers and mothers that is a good thing. I think little kids are going to love it.
  • The Worker got me to thinking about that block and the change in vision for it. I guess this now precludes anything from being built at the corner, though, they could make it a little plaza in the future. But, more than that, I'm a bit confused by why the driveway off of Cedar to Marketplace's parking lot is always permanently dropped off with the berms? the only thing I can think of is that maybe they won't use it until they build the other wing onto Marketplace's current building. Because otherwise, what would be the point in having it, particularly when long-term plans call for a building lining Cedar?
  • I always thought that the plans were for two separate buildings along Cedar. Of course the Outfield apartments are already breaking the mold a bit.

1600562552_3324099674.jpg?v=0
  • Is this what is suppose to be built there? I do not see any of this down there.
    I did see yesterday that they were landscaping the plaza around the new sculpture,and put up a plaque, it looks nice.
    They have also fixed the erosion on the River trail in Moores Park and have closed and are repairing the trail were the erosion and failing bank is by GM. I guess that is about as fast as a city can get something done which is pretty good. A white egret has been seen right in this area fishing in the shallows, which to me is amazing.