General Lansing Development

Comments

• Lansing Business News posted a nice feature on the surge of development that has been happening in Lansing. Thought it would be good to post their summary as a quick glance at all the projects going on.
    Under Construction

Jackson National: $123.7 million headquarters expansion. New jobs: 1,200; public investment: $9.7 million.

MSU Facility for Rare Isotope Beams: $824 million publicly financed on-campus particle accelerator. New Jobs: 90.

General Motors: $562 million Delta Assembly Plant expansion. New jobs: 38; public investment: $4 million.

Niowave: $235 million medical isotope production facility near the Capital City International Airport. New jobs: 75; public investment: $32.4 million.

General Motors: $175 million Grand River Assembly stamping plant. New jobs: 65; public investment: $13 million.

MSU Federal Credit Union: $46 million, three-story, 188,000 square foot second headquarters building adjacent to Coolidge Road in East Lansing.

Sparrow Health System: $40.3 million estimated cost for construction of a new 132,000 square foot cancer treatment center on the site of the shuttered Bingham Elementary School in Lansing. Related is an $11.6 million (permit value) parking deck.

Gillespie Group: $26.5 million “The Outfield” residential apartments project at Cooley Law School Stadium. New jobs: 15; public investment: $12.5 million.

KIRCHHOFF Van-Rob: $24.8 million Watertown Twp. plant to supply auto parts and components to GM. New jobs: 175.

DTN Management Co.: $17 million 125-unit apartment complex, The Vista at the Heights, adjacent to the Eastwood Towne Center.

Ferguson Development: $14 million apartment/townhouse project on the Butler-Ottawa block in Lansing. New jobs: 7; public investment: $2 million.

Preyde One, LLC: $10 million Fairfield Inn and Suites, adjacent to the Eastwood Towne Center.

Whole Foods Market: $4.5 million (permit value) 42,000 square foot food store and offices in Meridian Twp. New jobs: 150.

Triton Industries, Inc.: $4.8 million boat manufacturing facility. New jobs: 44; public investment: $400,000.

Feldman Chevrolet of Lansing: $4.1 million redevelopment of dealership site on Michigan Avenue in Lansing. New jobs: 20; public investment: $600,000.

The Eyde Company: $1.7 million renovation of former Capitol City Books. Public investment: $151,654.

Gillespie Group: $1.6 million for the Lansing Brewing Company to be located at 518 E. Shiawassee St. New jobs: 40; public investment: $100,000.

ALDI/The Eyde Company: $950,000 (permit value) 25,000 square foot store on Marsh Road in Okemos. New jobs: 20. A 21-unit Eyde built apartment building on the same site.

Kaynick Properties LLC: $620,000 for the new United Electrical Contractors headquarters on North Larch Street in Old Town. New jobs: 32; public investment: $20,000.

Sparrow Health System: $14 million (estimate). New three story, 70,000 medical offices/drive-through pharmacy on the site of the demolished Lansing Medical Dental Building on East Grand River.

Sparrow Health System: $11.2 million (permit value), 4,000 square foot addition to the main building called Gathering Place.

Lansing Business Part LLC: $1 million-plus for former redevelopment Leaseway property on St. Joe Street and Rosemary Avenue.

McRae Hospitality Group: $1.6 million for a 7,500 square foot Boston’s family restaurant to the left of Capital Prime at Eastwood Towne Center.
    In the planning stage

Continental/Ferguson Development: $375 million Red Cedar Renaissance hotel/housing/office project on the site of the closed Lansing golf course. Public investment: $75 million.

In the planning stage:

RISE Development: $99.5 million SkyVue development along Michigan Avenue, opposite the proposed Red Cedar Renaissance. Public investment: $17.5 million.

The Lawton Group: $19 million Metro Place Apartments on the site of the long-closed downtown Lansing YMCA building. Public investment: $3 million.

Preyde One, LLC: $18 million 139 unit Hilton Homewood Suites next to Hyatt Place in Eastwood.

Sam Eyde Management: $7.3 million prep work at former John Deere site, 4000 N. Grand River. New jobs: 25; public investment: $275,000.

The Eyde Company: The Avenue, a mixed use project with 220 residential units and 15,000 square feet of commercial space west of Foods for Living in Meridian Twp.
  • edited September 2015
    That's quite a list. I noticed that the total value of the Red Cedar development has risen to $375 million according to this, I wonder if that's accurate? The last number they put out was $275 million wasn't it?
  • Yeah, everything I'm seeing is $276 million. Either it was a mistake or they know something we don't.
  • I wouldn't be at all surprised if the figure has increased, I think the original estimate was $150 million and it's climbed since.
  • edited September 2015
    Wait, Ottawa-Butler is already under construction? Hadn't been by the site in months, and wasn't aware it had gone through city council approvals and such.

Also, are they sure Leaseway at Rosemary and St. Joseph is under redevelopment? Last I heard, they couldn't get what they wanted from the township and the project had stalled out.
  • What was proposed at the Leaseway site initially?

I also wasn't aware that Ottawa/Butler was under construction, I'll have to make a point to drive by there sometime.
  • edited September 2015
    The owner of the site (Old Town's Alan Hooper) wanted to turn it into Lansing Business Park, an industrial park for light industry and commerce. He wanted Lansing Township to apply for a half-million dollar DEQ brownfield loan. Bt since the township had maxed out the amount of debt a township can have (because of Eastwood), Ingham County would have basically had to co-sign and they refused, of course.

I guess he must have found a way to clean up the site without the help of the township and county. The developer said back in 2013 that he had tenants already lined up. BTW, this is actually three different parcels, two north of St. Joseph and one south.
  • That seems to be a quite a list of some really great project. The Lansing area is going to look much different in just a few years. It is very exciting to me to see Lansing growing in so many interesting directions.

I drive down St Joe all the time to sneak over to Meijer's the back way, and I have noticed there is something going on in the building on St Joe, they have been hauling a lot of junk out of there and it looks like they are cleaning it up for some reason. It would be great if they would plow up some of the pavement on those huge lots and an industrial park sounds about right. Along down by the NAPA auto store they have cleared a huge lot of really big trees, so big they were hauled off for lumber, I was wondering why they would do that and what is going in there.

I have not been down Butler lately, I do like that street some of the houses are really nice. That area has such great architecture I have often thought about what they must have torn down for the Capital Complex. It was a minority neighborhood mostly African American there and along the 496 corridor and MLK [Logan} that they cleared out. I was very young but I do remember that the houses were big and the streets were very active with families out on the porches in the summer. I thought it was interesting there it was so much more urban than my neighborhood just across the river.I think they had little power to stop the clearing of their neighborhoods, but you can still spot a few that did hold out by the houses that stand alone on an empty block. It is great to see Butler Blvd. still there and new things being built.
  • It was announced earlier this month, but the City of Lansing in conjunction with the Ingham County Land Bank started "Hardest Hit Fund" demolition of 240 blighted properties concentrated in 5 areas of the city. The areas were based on the amount of tax and bank forclosures red-tagged homes in this area. Anyway, I'd totally forgotten about this until taking a drive around Northtown the other day. There seems to be a particular focus in that area along Pennsylvania and East Grand River. It's bittersweet to see. On one hand, it's a visible recognition of some failed areas in the city, on the other, no one should have to live next to genuinely abandoned properties.

Anyway, along with Northtown, the four other areas targeted include the Eastside (south of Michigan), then pretty much everything within the C curve of the Grand River (downtown, Westside, etc...), the near-southside (all of Riverpoint and then areas to the south including Moores Park Neighborhood to the west and Baker-Donora to the east), and then lastly a huge park of the southside bound by Pennsylvania, Jolly, Waverly and Mt. Hope.
  • Hopefully they're selecting the homes they demolish wisely, avoiding the ones worth saving whenever possible. In many of those targeted areas there's certainly some houses that were trash to begin with, often they're the houses built decades after the original neighborhood. I hope they get as many of those as possible.