Off topic thread

Comments

• I certainly wouldn't vote for him again but I don't see anyone on the local political scene that I'd like to see in the position either. My political views are complex, a heap civil libertarianism, a decent bit of economic conservatism and a good amount of classical liberalism mixed throughout, voting for the two main parties is always painful for me. Hopefully someone rises up and takes a run at mayor, we need someone more in the vain of Bernero or Hollister.
  • The Mayor seems like a nice person, but he lets things happen rather than make things happen. His office's response to the gunmen terrorizing my neighborhood was it's their right to do so, there is nothing we can do about them. Really! nothing? The other day I think he should not have allowed that small group of provocateurs to vandalize downtown buildings. After that protest was mainly over is when he could have closed the streets and sent people home. He has not done much to bring people together in either crisis. I think the call for him to resign is not based on anything other than some people do not like the Mayor, I can not think of anything that he did or did not do that would say to me that he should resign but there is room for improvement.
  • Today again I saw another CN train loaded with wind turbine parts heading west. There must be someplace nearby where they put the parts onto trucks for transport. I almost always see convoys with giant blades and tower pieces when I pass the rest stop on 127 near Ithica. The new windmills now go as far as you can see to the east and north of there. Up even further a new group of turbines is being put up just south of Coleman. It is difficult to overlook the industrialization of the pastoral landscape as there are now so many of them and they are so big but good to see them with the thought that they are providing clean energy and closing coal fire plants. I talked with one farmer who says he hates them they blink red lights into his windows and also make a noise he can hear at night. This is five miles north of St. Louis so yes that would be hard to get used to out there. I wonder how much the landowners make allowing them to put these things on their land and if they continue to be paid for the electricity produced? North of there the Amish community is growing taking over many old farms, their farms are beautiful to see with all the different animals and the wheat gathered in old fashion stacks in the fields. the other day I saw about sixty Amish men building a barn, none wearing masks. I hope no one gets sick.
  • I know I've mentioned it several times and I'll continue to say it every time the subject comes up, I think wind turbines suck as an energy source and they destroy the landscape, the problem will be multiplied when they're all left as rotting hulks for years and then crumbling foundations for many more. Same goes for solar when it's not integrated into the already built environment. Nuclear and solar (not solar farms though) are the near-term energy solutions. I hope we don't destroy massive swaths of wilderness for solar and wind farms before we regret it as much we did with coal.
  • I agree with your thoughts mainly, I guess no solution is perfect! I was thinking I have lived long enough to see the smoke-belching old smokestacks at Eckert replaced by the "three stacks", now they are obsolete and are now being phased out of use, I am hoping I live long enough to see the wind turbines become obsolete and witness the day they start taking them down. That will be a great day!
  • Last week when I came home from my cabin where I am off the grid, out of cell phone range, and always on a news blackout to hear that my younger brother was sick and the next day he passed away. I went back to the cabin to try to recover this week the colors were so beautiful, I returned to Lansing to hear the news of the plot to abduct and try Governor Whitmer take down the Mackinaw Bridge and send 200 armed men to take over our Capitol Building with bombs and automatic weapons. This is happening just down the street from my building in my hometown! It is happening in the place I used to wander around freely when I was a kid. I know these are not Lansing people and they were not very smart, what if there are smarter terrorist out there? it is hard not to feel overwhelmed and fearful. I have already voted I hope you all will do the same as soon as you can, it will make you feel better. One day soon things will be better if everyone votes. Thank you all for putting up with my posts here, it's the nicest place on the internet!
  • So sorry to hear about your brother gb, and a younger brother at that. Sending you good thoughts. My condolences.
  • So sorry to hear about your brother gb, I second what MichMatters said. Thank you for all of your posts here, it really adds some nice character and backstory to the forum. My condolences.
  • Thank you for your kind thoughts. Kindness and time are the only remedies.
  • I saw an interesting program on the youtube channel "B1M" about the "Wooden City" that is being constructed in a quarter of Helsinki Finland. They are building all kinds of different structures with engineered wood products. Like our building at MSU in the former power plant. They are even constructing nearly all wooden high rise buildings that are quite beautiful. I think Michigan is a lot like Finland in that we have a great renewable resource in our forested state and we could include more wood products in building plans. Also, all the mainly wooden buildings being built here make more sense to me after watching this program. Michigan even looks like Finland!