General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Good to hear. Any idea what the path forward is on this? It sounds like the kind of thing that will move very quick once MSUFCU owns the land.
  • edited March 2020
    Once the land is sold, it's the normal process (i.e. site plan approval, and special land use permits if needed). So on the city's end, that would mean it'd go through the Planning Commission and Downtown Development Authority - since I belive it's within the downtown boundaries - and then on to city council for passage. On the companies end, it depends on how well they stick to their desire to get this done. Sounds like they will quickly draw up the plans for the building from what last I heard.

Actually, it's looking like the Planning Commission voted to recommend the rezoning of the land for approval to the City Council, but the City Council hasn't yet taken up the rezoning from what I can find. Their next full meeting was March 24th, but the coronavirus seems to have shut down the city until April 5th. So things might be a delayed a bit.
  • Ah, good point. The whole coronavirus thing is barely getting started so if they're going to totally wait it out it's gonna be quite a while.
  • This plan may never get off the ground if the economy moves in to a recession, as it's looking this week and last week. I imagine lots of development projects that haven't put a shovel in the ground will get delayed since this virus may take three months to fully play out and by then we may have a very different looking economy.
  • Yeah, this will no doubt be a rough patch. I'm betting there will be a pretty strong boom when the smoke settles from all this though, the economy had remained surprising stable before this and now there will be stimulus money and low interest rates floating out there. The biggest question for me is will there be a seasonal lull in the summer and we end up dealing with an even worse outbreak next fall/winter? Too many unknowns right now.

FYI, I've been a New Scientist subscriber for a long time, they're one of the most authoritative science magazines out there that's really accessible to laymen. They've made most of their coronavirus coverage free to everyone, check it out here:

https://www.newscientist.com/article-topic/coronavirus/
  • The lsj.com has an article saying they have submitted plans to EL for a pretty nice looking mixed-use/office building on Albert at Evergreen. I like the contemporary design which looks bright and light.
  • That's "The Citadel", there's renderings and info in the Park Place West thread.
  • Looks like the city unanimously approved the rezoning of Park Lot #4 at their May 26th meeting. This is the site MSUFCU plans to build their 5-to-8 story building.
  • edited June 2020
    Document?documentID=9682

Looks like the MSUFCU has formally submitted plans to the city for this building. It will be 7-stories at 105 feet with 87,822 sq ft, with the first floor including an MSUFCU branch and leasable comercial space, the second floor including a community space which will be able to seat nearly 500, office space for MSUFCU on floors 3, 4, & 5 and leasable office space on floors 6 & 7.

The planning commission has set a public hearing for July 22. MSUFCU will have to request a special use permit since single-use buildings in this zoning district only allow a height of 64'. They are shooting for November for a construction start, though remedial work on the site will take place before then, with completion in early 2022.
  • I guess it pretty much goes without saying that this is a really good thing for downtown EL. A modest but nice looking building of an appropriate height/scale with ground floor retail, several hundred employees and a fairly large community space. It's hard to critique any of that