General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Plans are moving forward to build a three story hotel behind the Howard Johnsons on Trowbridge Road in East Lansing. The land currently has an old hotel on it, but this will be a tear down. The old hotel has been vacant for some time now.
  • An update on the Birchrow Street Reconstruction, in East Lansing's northeast corner.

The Birchrow street reconstruction is not expected to be completed until Fall 2007. There is an article in today's State News about it.
    State News article

Does anybody else think that a project like this shouldn't take this long to complete? I believe they started in the Spring of 2006.
  • Lingg Brewer is going to ask for a one year extension on his proposal to build a four story apartment building on Albert and Division tonight. He said he has been too busy with his Old Town project, and still has hopes to carry through with this project.
  • I have heard that the Pizza Hut at the corner of Abbott and Saginaw will be moving to the corner of Grand River and Hagadorn pretty soon.

This will open up a pretty large stretch of property at the corner of Abbott and Saginaw, as the gas station at the corner has been vacant for some time. There is currently a 'pending' sign at the gas station, and I am wondering if the move of Pizza Hut is part of the deal that is pending. With a new office building that is coming in across the street, another development nearby doesn't seem like too wishful thinking.
  • Followup: Lingg Brewer got his request for another year on the proposal.
  • I drove around town today, and I stopped by the MSUFCU Headquarters on Coolidge. The building is getting pretty tall, and is about four and a half stories, but looks to be about 95 feet tall. Only the steel structure is up, and it looks like it is set right near the freeway (far back from Coolidge, but should look nice driving north on 127).

The Mercantile Bank looks like it will open in April as it looks like just interior work needs to be done. The building is taller than I thought, and is close to the road, although not facing the road.
  • edited February 2007
    This is an update on previous news about a development at the intersection of M-78 and Lake Lansing in East Lansing, from the East Lansing City Council:
    Held a public hearing and approved a Special Use Permit; An application from
    Agree Limited Partnership to modify the approved Special Use Permit for the 11
    acre vacant property at the southeast corner of M-78 and Lake Lansing Road. The
    approved Special Use Permit provides for the construction of a one-story 15,000
    sq. ft. retail building, to be partially occupied by a bank with drive-in services
    and a one-story 6,325 sq. ft. retail building to function as a convenience store, fast
    food restaurant and gasoline service station, with 6 pump islands under a canopy
    structure. The approved Special Use Permit also provides for the construction of
    a one-story 15,000 sq. ft. general office building and a two-story 30,000 sq. ft.
    office building. The proposed modification eliminates the one-story 15,000 sq. ft.
    general office building, the 15,000 sq. ft. one-story retail building and the 6,325
    sq. ft. one-story retail building, decreases the two-story general office building
    size from 30,000 sq. ft. to 28,600 sq. ft., and adds a 14,564 sq. ft. one-story drug
    store building with a drive-up window and a 4,352 sq. ft. bank branch with 5
    drive-through windows. The property is zoned in the B-2 Retail Sales Business
    District and the B-1 General Office Business District.

I'm still kind of confused about this development. I had heard a while back that there was developer that wanted to build 8-story apartments over in that vicinity, and I'm not sure if this is on the same lot and that the developer has changed their mind or not.
  • At tomorrows city council meeting:
    East Village workshop. Discussion Only
    Pierce Company

Public hearing to consider the Burcham Hills Approval Requested
    Center II Project Plan of the City East Lansing
    Economic Development Corporation.

Tim Dempsey M-78 and Lake Lansing Road Project – Discussion &
    Proposed Brownfield Plan & Setting Date Action Requested
    for Public Hearing

I plan on attending the meeting, as I want to hear the discussions for all of these. If I go, I'll put up my summary of the meeting here. It starts at 6:00pm at East Lansing City Hall in Conference Room A.
  • On Monday, Hagadorn road will be closed from Grand River to Shaw Lane as the Ingham County Road Commission installs a new bridge. The new bridge will be six lanes wide, as the previous/current one is four lanes wide. The pedestrian bridge will stay in use during the construction. The new bridge is estimated to cost about $2.3 million. Construction is expected to be finished by mid-August.
  • I'm glad to here about this. The lanes on the current bridge are so narrow that's it's pretty dangerous.

BTW, I surprisingly didn't see an East Village page, here. It was announced, yesterday, that a California developer is developing plans for a portion of the new neighborhood with emphasis on connecting to the river unlike the current developments, there, that don't connect to/utilize the river:

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070301/NEWS03/703010331/1004/ARCHIVES