General East Lansing Development

Comments

• This is so great, it is really exciting to me! New Pavement!

• Looks great. I wish they would have used the pavers for the crosswalks at MAC and Albert too.
  • The only reason they did pavers where they did is because I think the development is paying for it, at least up front.

• Yeah, that's what I was thinking. They look so nice that they should be part of the form-based zoning that the city has to live up to :smile:

• Upcoming projects before the city council at their August 13 meeting:

• The hotel/retail strip/dispensary Merritt & Park Lake.

Upcoming projects before the planning commmission at their August 14 meeting:

• A special use permit for the new Target at Center City to sale alcohol.

• A modified site plan for Gaslight Village to allow for 50 new units in a mix of 5 and 4-unit buildings.

• A special use permit and site plan for a brewery/winery/distillery and "artisan pizza restaurant and bar" in Center City.

• A rezoning and special use permit for 710-722.5 Grove to demolish them for a 3-story sorority house.

• I took a look at the new Target Store in EL. I found it very nice, it seemed kind of small at first, I guess because the other stores are so huge. But then I noticed how nice and compactly the merchandise was displayed and how easy it was to find things I was looking for, maybe fewer choices for every item[like only two different kinds of white t-shirts], that is when the whole layout started to make sense and I found I really liked it. The store is nice and bright with the street-side windows, and leaving the back way is easy too. They had a large selection of beer and wine along with liquor, and groceries. I think that place is going to be crazy busy when MSU is in.

• edited August 2019

Review of what passed the city council last night:

• The site plan and special use permit for the hotel/retail strip/dispensary Merritt & Park Lake was approved with conditions. Since the city owns the land and since this was approved, the sale will now go through bringing the city over $1 million.

• The site plan and special use permit for the reconstruction of the former Quality Dairy store on Trowbridge was approved. Half the space will house a Biggby.

Other items going through the process:

• A public hearing was set for the rezoning of the parcels for Park Place West for September 10th.

The Planning Commission met, tonight, and here are some things on the agenda:

• A public hearing for a site plan modification for the last phase of Gaslight Village up on Abbot. This time they want 50 units, up from 43 units a few months ago, and for the removal on the limitation on leasing. I don't see why they keep trying with this.

• A public hearing for a site plan and special use permit for Jolly Pumpkin brewery/winery/distillery and restaurant in Center City.

• A public hearing for some major amendments to the East Village zoning code including allowing residential uses at the ground floor when not on Grand River Avenue, lowering the first floor height requirement from 17 to 15 feet, allow the use of EIFS as a facade material, making clear market-rate housing only applies to Class A multi-family projects, etc.

• Site plan and special use permit up for approval for Park Place West.

• From the Planning Commissions Sept 11 meeting:

• A public hearing for a lot split and a site plan & special use permit for 3225 West Road in the northern Tier. A developer is seeking to build a 4-story, 107-room hotel, and a 4,015 sq ft marijuana provisioning center. It's so weird to me that the provisioning centers are being paired with hotels in East Lansing. I'm not sure if this has something to do with zoning, or if there is some economic benefit they've seen to having these two uses side-by-side.
    • A public hearing for a site plan and special use permit for 131, 135, 207, 217, and 227 Bogue for two, 14-story buildings with a max height of 152 feet with 720 units ranging from efficiencies to four-bedrooms and rowhomes on the first floor in the East Village zoning district. This one is contigent upon proposed zoning changes being approved for the district.
  • edited August 2019

Excellent quality, but - I can't believe I'm about to say this - could this be the start of too much? The increase in scale is really getting up there.

If constructed as proposed, these two new buildings would add another 720 student apartment units and up to 1,735 more residents along Bogue Street just south of Grand River Avenue.

Though I guess I will say that if these student towers are the new trend, I'd much rather they be in East Village than in downtown.