General Lansing Development

Comments

• There was an article, I think in the LSJ, a little while ago about that. Bob Tresize gave that same story about the investor, at the time the move wasn't finalized. I think there current office is in a basement or something, and they are supposed to move into the Arbaugh along with the PSD. I also wonder what he means by "using their window space?"

Also Smith Floral is leaving downtown: Smith Floral exiting downtown Lansing
    I don't think this will have any impact, in fact it may open up that storefront to a rresturaunt or something. One business I would really like to see move, consolidate or remodel is Barron's, they are a good and longstanding business, but they are not really appropriate for downtown.
  • Did you notice in that article that they said there was only one employee for the whole store? Is business that slow on Washington Sq that stores only need one employee?
  • A flower shop is typically not busy to begin with, besides it seems a flower shop downtown is inconvenient. It seems halve the people who buy flowers don't even want to leave their house to begin with, let alone deal with downtwn parking when there are a few flower shops not too far away from there anyways.
  • My former roommate is the manager of Clem's Collectibles (the comic/games shop). He's the only main employee, he has 1 other part time worker, but for the most part it's just him. But he puts in a 50-60 hour week.
  • Hood, by use the window space I meant with creative ads and such, kind of like what they've done with the ground floor of the Knapps Center which has a bunch of great ads.

Yeah, Baron's really seems out of place. Also, their storefronts have been modernized so many times it really gives off a bad appearence. As for Smith's leaving downtown, they had a great run, and it's not like the whole business folding. Smith's does good business over there on East Mount Hope, and that type of business is much better suited. Also, as Hood mentions, this will open up a storefront for a quickly changing corner (Kazoo/Washington). The Abraugh already has spinoff, and I predict this will be part of that.
  • BTW, saw a blurb in yesterday's paper concerning radio changes. Apparently WJZL, a smooth Jazz station that used to be on 92.7-FM going to 92.9-FM will replace its tower in Charlotte for one on top of the Boji Tower. I thought I'd seen a new tower on the southeast corner of the roof, recently. You can really see it at night with the setback lighting. The Boji's seem to be very aggresive in leasing out that roof-top space, as it's much more cluttered than it was before they bought the tower. I personally don't mind cluttered rooftops, for the most part. BTW, I think this will be the only commercial radio station using the rooftop as the rest of the tenants are cellphone companies and state radio, I think.
  • I got around to reading this week's City Pulse, and it appears that LCC (according to chairman Laverty) is looking for money from the government to building a new math and sciences building across Shiawasee from the current one, which I guess would mean it would be on Washington Mall.

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=588&Itemid=2
  • From this Mondays council meeting:

"In consideration of the establishment of a new Neighborhood Enterprise Zone (NEZ) entitled "The River North" District #20, approximate boundaries; East Grand River Ave. to the north, Burchard Park to the south, the Grand River to the west and Factory St. to the east"

With any luck, Mr Karp will be there to give some sort of details about the project.

"Grant Application; Economic Development Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce (EDA) for public infrastructure improvements to Regional SmartZone (Lansing's portion)"

"Setting a Public Hearing for December 4, 2006 In consideration of the Tax Increment Financing and Development Plan for the Lansing Regional SmartZone"

Couple of things regarding the Smart Zone, it looks like they are planning some sort of physical improvements. It ought to be interesting to hear what they are.

"Application for Exemption of a New Personal Property Tax Exemption filed by the Michigan Dental Association and MDA Insurance and Financial Group, Inc. for property located at 201 Townsend St., the Capitol View Building"

It looks like the MDA will be moving to Capitol View, instead of the law firm.
  • edited November 2006
    It sounds like that whole block bordering the river south of Grand River are going to be benefited by the River North designation. Sounds good to me.

However, I'm still worried about/wary of these New Personal Tax Exemption's. The tax abatements seem to be getting very detailed, and my worry is this is yet another giveaway developers will come to expect from the city.

BTW, I noticed something today that really made me smile, and that's that the city seems to have at least temporarily repaired the westbound Kalamazoo Street Bridge approach which was in horrible, horrible condition which was exacerbated if you were turning west off of Cedar Street.
  • edited November 2006
    River North is moving foward:

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/4579452.html

4-stories with 8-9 very high end lofts.