General Lansing Development

Comments

• They've been officially trying to push "East Town" since they put up the The Venue (at East Town) apartments down the street, but it's never caught on. Though, I do not doubt it will. It really is a node that's worth a name. The new apartments even further east, Provident Place, is also officially called "Provident Place at East Town."

• I think East Town works maybe "Lansing East Town" would make a distinction between East Town and East Lansing, but I definitely think the area should be one of our Towns.

• Looks like the remains of the Eastside Gateway at 615 East Kalamazoo have been demolished. Hopefully, something even better rises from the ashes.

With this demolition, there are now only three structures remaining on this part of the street on either side in between the railroad tracks and Larch. Seems like a great opportunity for someone to come in and finally redevelop the area.

On the northside you've got the city surface lot between Cedar and Larch, then the Eastside Gateway site and then a private surface lot. On the south side of the street you've got the private lot between Larch and Beech, and the long-time empty, unimproved lot across Beech that was once home to Curtis Drugs.

• edited June 2019

BTW, noticed the new artwork going up on the stairwell/elevator tower of the North Grand parking garage on Saturday. From the City Pulse: https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/grand-avenue-parking-structure-gets-facelift-with-new-mural,12943

They've since finished this. It's really pretty striking when you see it om person.

• This looks great. As I was out of town for about 30 years I have been wondering about what happened to this structure. Why does it seem that the elevator structure is three stories taller than the building? It would great if they also renovated the pedestrian overpass, I really hate how it looks, very dated and not ever attractive.

• They demolished the part of the structure that was over Grand Ave when they did the AF Construction, hence we were left with a stairwell to nowhere.

• edited June 2019

Yep. Took these back during the reconstruction:

Falling

All Falls Down

Rest

North Grand Avenue Parking Structure Annex

Accident Fund Headquarters

It was a massive expansion on the garage.

• I can understand taking down the over the street section, I do remember it now that I see this photo Ugly!, did they lower the ramp so as to not loom over the new building? Then they turned around and said it was OK to build another [although better looking] private parking structure right on the riverfront! Oh well, it's done now, It's kind of a shame that our parking lots and ramps have some of the best addresses and views in Lansing.

• edited June 2019

I'm glad they took it down. It allowed AF a front entrance and opens up views and made the area along Grand more pedestrian friendly. More important, we finally got access to the riverfront because of the renovation and new construction. The boardwalk in front of AF is one of my favorite spots on the river, now.

Glass, Steel, & Stone

June 20: Wow, look at the plantings on the river this spring:

https://twitter.com/AFGroupIns/status/1131900812425355264

• Yes, I wish they took the whole structure down. Like I said our parking ramps have the best addresses downtown, and I thought perhaps another type of building could have had that space on the riverfront. That being said I think this is one of the best new buildings in Lansing and a remarkable repurposing of the old power plant.