General Lansing Development

Comments

• A recent city press release on the Holmes Street school redevelopment:

https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/8515/PR-Holmes-Street-School-Oct-20191
  • Is this development group Urban Systems with a new name? I think they have some of the same drawings for proposed buildings on their web page. I am happy to hear about the Holmes School, there has been even more vandalism and broken windows there lately. It will be nice to drive by there on my backway to Fenner and see people living there.
  • Dymaxion is one of the firms that makes up Urban Systems
  • edited November 2019
    The planning department is restarting the stalled Form-Based Code with the Planning Board this Wednesday. The cover letter says that they hope to have the Planning Board, again, pass it "after the holidays."

https://www.lansingmi.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_11062019-2857

I see basically no changes from the version of the plan they approved in 2017. Hopefully, we'll have a new city counciller or two after Tuesday, otherwise, doing this over again seems like a fool's errand.

On the agenda, also, is just an update on the Design Lansing master plan redo the city adopted in 2012. A big highlighted recommendation is for Lansing to continue an aggressive tree-planting program for climate (250 tree/year).
  • I missed that there was an election. Who's up this time? Do you have any opinions on the candidates?
  • edited November 2019
    Half the council seats - two ward seats and two at-large seats - are staggered so that they are up every two years. This year, Wards 1 & 3 and two at-large seats are up. Two years from now it will be 2 & 4 and the other two at-large seats, and so fourth and so on...Of note, no one even decided to run against the incumbent in the 3rd Ward.

The only two progressive candidates running are Brandon Betz in the 1st and Yanice Jackson-Long running at-large. All four of the incumbents are from the more conservative wing of the council and have concerned themselves, IMO, with overregulating marijuana in town and harrassing folks trying to help the homeless. Wish they'd spend half the energy on that on things like getting the new zoning code passed, keeping up the parks, etc...

Looks like Betz has a fighting chance of ousting conservative incumbent Washington. In the at-large races, Jackson-Long is simply fighting for the second seat as incumbent president Wood will almost certainly get first place. If I had to bet, though, I'd bet all four of the conservative faction are returned. For whatever reason, it feels like the progressives in the city have been asleep at the wheel when it comes to local elections.

From the City Pulse:

Lansing City Council At-Large: ABC: Anybody But Carol

Lansing’s First Ward: Betz is best
  • What constitutes conservatives amongst the council? I'm extremely pro-development but I'd sorta like to be more selective with tax incentives, that's my most important city government issue. I'm also pro marijuana industry for whatever that's worth.
  • edited November 2019
    Oh, boy, this is hilarious. Here is what part of Roma's Bakery is being transformed into (the backery part on the back). Here's the project filing from October 9:
    Turn east end of Roma's Bakery into Medical Marijuana consumables. Phase 1
    Talk about "baked" goods. lol Still curious what the west end will be developed into.

These finally seem to becoming to fruition after years of will they/won't they regulations. Believe it or not, only about a handful of these are fully permitted from the city and state despite it seeming like they are everywhere. Speaking of which, I noticed tonight while driving down Cedar that the reconstruction of the old laboratory at Lincoln a block north of Greenlawn (at 2508 S Cedar) seems to be nearly complete. Looking it up, it will be a provisioning center. It's a really nice remodel.

I like seeing all of these vacant storefronts and street-fronting commercial buildings getting new life.
  • I was just reading about all the towns in the area that have banned MJ sales. Seems like the local officials are the ones who get to decide this issue even though in most places a majority of people voted to legalize. So all the folks from those towns are going to be coming here to spend their money and we will also be getting more of the tax money collected. Very sort sighted on their part, coupled with an old judgmental opinion on the use of marijuana. It will be interesting to see how they will react to not getting any of the benefits of legalization, and still, have their citizens dying from alcohol and tobacco-related causes, which they sell on every corner.
  • I noticed that the sidewalks are closed off around the old Farnum Building at the corner of Capitol and Allegan, but I'm unsure if this is prep for the renovation or something else.