General Lansing Development

Comments

• Looks like the Planning Board will hold their meeting next Tuesday, remotely. The only thing on the agenda is the rezoning and special land use for the proposed 5-story LCC parking garage at the corner of Shiawassee and Capitol. At the previous meeting the board tabled the issue asking LCC to return information on the effect this would have on-street parking on Seymour Avenue (since it would open onto/be accessed from Seymour and Capitol), a more detailed analysis of auto and pedestrian traffic in the area, how the ramp's lighting will be addressed (residents on Seymour have suggested maybe putting shields or louvers on their side of the ramp to prevent light pollution), and answers as to why purchase of the city-owned North Capitol garage can't be the solution, and finally why the city is opposed to having the ramp open onto Shiawassee instead of Capitol and Seymour.

Personally, I'm still irked by the lack of discussion over why if this has to be built, why they didn't partner with a developer to make this mixed use from the get-got. I'd like the city to pass an ordinance to their zoning code that bans single-purpose parking garages, to be honest, unless it's part of a downtown campus development or something. LCC just casually tossing it out there that the first floor could be redeveloped isn't enough, because it would never happen.

Anyway, that's the agenda for next week. :smile:
  • Looks like the Planning Commission unanimously approved the rezoning and special land use for the new parking garage, as it was referred to the city council on Monday. The Gannon Ramp special land use was also sent to council.

It'll be interesting to see when we get the minutes to the April Planning Board meeting how exactly LCC allayed the neighbor's and city's concernings.
  • edited April 2020
    I noticed in the city council agenda for Monday that MichiGrain Distillery on Shiawassee across from Lansing Brewing Company is requesting a micro brewer license/beer and wine tasting permit. So it looks like they are proposing to add beer and wine to their spirits products. Kind of makes me wonder if LBC will have anything to say to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission during the investigation of this permit request? Other things of note on the agenda:

1. A continued public hearing for a rezoning for a marijuana safety compliance facility on North East Street, which seems to have been in the process for months now for whatever reason. The planning department signed off on this one last year.

2. The 11th amendment to the development agreemnt for the Red Cedar project we discussed in its thread is up for passage.

3. Lastly, the introduction of an ordinance which would give the Lansing Housing Commission more independence. Currently, they have to seek approval from the mayor and/or the city council for even the smallest of tasks. This amendment would allow the commission own and sell property in its own name, and give it more power of hiring and compensation of employees.

Edit: Looks like the Red Cedar development amendment passed according to WLNS.
  • So in the Summer 2020 issue of Lansing Living I got in the mail yesterday it talked about Emterra's new Recycling Material Recovery Facility that they are building. This is the first thing I've seen where any sort of location is mentioned. The article says "The new facility, owned and operated by Emterra Environmental, will be located at an old, industrial site on South Pennsylvania Avenue in Lansing. There will be a significant investment made by Emterra to refurbish the property, which has been vacant for years." I've looked online and can't find where this will actually be. Any ideas?
  • edited May 2020
    I imagine they are talking about the BWL's Penn-Hazel Street Complex at Pennsylvania and Hazel. The operations of the complex are planned to be moved to the old Verlinden site on the westside when the Delta Energy Park is completed next year. At least that was the plan the last time BWL announced anything. It'd give Emterra a nice central location to work from.
  • I have been wondering about the BWL move to the west side. I have not been that way in a while, are they building a new complex over there? I have not noticed any construction at the S. Penn. site. It is an industrial site[ has it been vacant for years?] but I was hoping the area would be redeveloped into a mixed-use area with maybe some housing next to the river. I remember there was some talk about that in the past. I would think that a recycling center would be an ugly big box-type building, maybe they will repurpose the buildings already there, anyway I'm not sure how I feel about a recycling center right in the middle of town next to the River Trail. My first thought is ugly stinky and dirty. They do try to hide the recycling operation in Old Town [ Ye Olde Scrap Dump] but the piles of scrap metal and bundles of cardboard are still visible while driving by. I can think of several sites in town that would be a better place for this kind of development.
  • edited May 2020
    I'm confused. The BWL's Penn-Hazel Complex is very much still in operation. BWL will move its operations from the site to the Verlinden site when the Delta Energy Park in Delta Township is completed next year.

I am only guessing that that will be the site for the new recycling center, but it makes the most sense given the size and its existing industrial zoning. BTW, this land has been industrial forever and has been as such because it sits in a flood plain. The only thing it could ever really be is industrial or parkland.
  • I was able to find a little more info. It looks like the property Emterra bought is on the east side of Penn across the street from the BWL property. It's just north of the railroad tracks and south of Haco Drive. Here's the article I found: https://www.thenewsfunnel.com/press-release/nai-mid-michigan-announces-recent-sale-lansing
  • edited May 2020
    Cool. I took this map from the parcel viewer to show the two sites. It's about 6 acres.

s4r0u48zsdd7.png

Makes me wonder what BWL will do with Penn-Hazel.
  • This site looks like a better fit for a recycling facility, it is about as out of sight as you could hope for. It would be great if the BWL turned their area into a parkland, I'm sure they will most likely plan to have an industrial park there.