The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• Good point actually about the first couple floors really protruding. That'll really make the upper portions of the development look disconnected from the base.

Also, the State News appears to have clarified last week's premature posting about City Center II going into foreclosure, but not in a terribly reassuring way. The article mentions that Strathmore has plenty of other projects, most notably a project they have going on in Bear Creek, that are in foreclosure. They're behind on property taxes on that development, and also majorly behind on a couple projects down in Florida. Add these to the issues we know they've been having in Ann Arbor, and, again, it's not the end of this project's chances, but this really can't be good.
  • It would seem to me that with all these tenants lined up this project would be a slam dunk, any problems are likely with the developer.
  • I think Strathmore most likely overextended itself and never imagined the economy getting this bad.

As for the design, it could use improvement, but considering both what they originally planned (Museum Place) and what is there, now, this is a huge improvement.
  • More bumps in the road for Strathmore, and, this time, the project might be as good as dead. The State News is now reporting that Huntington Bank is going forward with foreclosures on seven of the properties in the project area, all currently owned by City Center II LLC (Strathmore), and it's not a mistake in printing like it was a couple months ago. Chappelle, Strathmore's President, is actually claiming that they and Huntington have reached an accord on the issue, and it's resolved.

Frankly I think Chappelle's full of it. If Huntington is saying there's foreclosure proceedings going through with sales scheduled for the 17th, I believe them over a guy who's company has had foreclosure issues with multiple properties in the not too far past. I know some of you guys think this still has a chance, but this project is about as done as it could possibly be as far as I'm concerned.
  • Big housing projects are tough to pull off right now it seems (City Center II & East Village). I bet if they let more developers build more but smaller buildings with less units in the same spaces, it'd lead to a better urban environment, and more units being sold. For example, instead of making the whole east village one large project with one developer, why not re-do the whole area with guidelines that many different developers have to follow leading to a plethora of buildings that make a better urban landscape than a large cookie cutter project. The same can be done in the location of City Center II. I bet it'd work.
  • The State News must have nearly nothing else to report on because they seem dedicated to City Center II news. This time, EL Mayor Vic Loomis is claiming that City Center II could still move forward, despite looming foreclosures on many of the properties. Loomis mentioned two ways he thinks that this could happen: 1. The properties might avoid foreclosure altogether still (?), and 2. Strathmore could use their right of redemption to get the property back after the sale.

The article goes on to mention that Loomis couldn't elaborate on Option #1, and, as far as #2, who really believes they're gonna come up with that money? On top of all this, Strathmore, despite the foreclosures, is trying to get yet another extension from the city.

The article also notes that, in spite of somewhat conflicting reports, there are no current plans to construct a parking structure, integrated into the City Center II plans, if the project does not go forward.
  • The LSJ is reporting this afternoon that Chappelle has staved off an imminent sheriff's sale.
  • The latest news in the broken record that is the City Center II tax situation with Strathmore, according to the State News, is that they're going to be right up against a December 17th deadline to pay their back taxes, or else their site plans "expire." I'm not really sure what that means in the grand scheme of things, but I'm guessing not a lot considering the city seems to be bent on seeing this thing through to the end. Strathmore still owes $87k for this project, as well as about $90k on numerous properties in Aurelis Twp.

The other interesting nugget here is the mention at the end from East Lansing Director of Planning and Community Development Tim Dempsey, who stated that he's talked to Strathmore about including more office/retail space, and less living space due to an uptick in technology companies looking for office space in the city.
  • Here's the latest on the project.

City Center II plans changing
    Project's developer seeks to swap residential units for office space
    Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • December 13, 2009

EAST LANSING - The developer of City Center II project is changing his plans, though he still expects the $112 million development to go through.

The original site plan for the downtown East Lansing project calls for one of the buildings to have retail on the first floor with about 25 residential units on the top four levels. But an amended plan from Strathmore Development Co. would allow the building to be used for office space if desired.

Strathmore President Scott Chappelle has a potential commercial tenant for the planned five-story, 41,600 square-foot building that would be constructed between Dublin Square Irish Pub and Albert Ave. But the retail component could be dropped under the amended plan.

The mixed-use project has been on hold while the city waits for late tax payments and Strathmore secures financing.

Chappelle said he plans to submit a site plan amendment to the city sometime the week of Dec. 14. He also said he plans to pay late property taxes before meeting with the city on the amendment.

The East Lansing City Council has not renewed the special use permit, which expires Dec. 17, because summer 2009 taxes have not been paid on all the properties.

One property owner, listed as CADA Investment Group LLC, paid off its late 2009 and delinquent 2008 taxes on the former Citizens Bank building at 100 W. Grand River Ave. But the owner of the other six City Center II properties, listed as City Center Two Project LLC, still owes $87,812 in late summer takes to the city and $97,138 to Ingham County in delinquent 2008 taxes. Both owners owe a combined $10,825 in winter taxes, but those aren't due until Feb. 14. The owners are tied to Strathmore.

Approval of the site plan amendment would give Strathmore another 12 months to secure financing and move on with the project.

Chappelle said he hopes to start moving forward in early in 2010. The city planning commission likely won't take up the request until January, and not until the taxes are paid, said city Manager Ted Staton.

"We think to replace some of the residential units with commercial space is actually desirable because that much commercial space could probably support between 150 and 200 employees," Staton said.

Chappelle wouldn't identify the potential business tenant, but said the company approached Strathmore.

"This user would be a good addition to the central business district," he said.

Although the change calls for the removal of 25 residential units, the project would still include roughly 160 residential units. City Center II would span about 5.5 acres from Grand River Avenue and Abbot Road to Valley Court Park.

Planning commission vice chairperson Rebecca DeVooght said she won't comment specifically on the amendment until she sees the plan, but said she's open to changes.

The planning commission originally passed the site plan with a 5 to 2 vote. The nine-member commission in 2010 will have all the same members except for Richard Hill-Rowley, who's leaving due to term limits.

Hill-Rowley was the most vocal with concerns about the project, DeVooght said.
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091213/NEWS01/912130521
  • That certainly goes hand-in-hand with statements made by Tim Dempsey last month in regards to this thing. I'm still not convinced as to the health of this project. I'd love to see it go through, but how many times can the city council give extensions before it's time to move on to a new idea? These boarded up properties, especially CADA Investment's old Citizen's Bank building, are total eyesores. I know going ahead with a poorly thought out plan wouldn't be the way to go, but something's gotta get done soon.