MSU Development

Comments

• I do think that people looking for new jobs take in to account how the commute will be , what the after-work options are, and what housing is available in proximity to the job. These are especially important with the generation that are just entering the work force.

Top faculty may have their first priority that they get interesting projects to work on and that they will be fully funded, but some other priorities may be: can I bike to work in a safe environment, can I go out for drinks and dinner with coworkers/fellow faculty afterwards (this also helps people work later hours), and can they live in nice accommodations without having to spend 20 minutes driving each way to work everyday.

• I agree that MSU could have built in downtown Lansing, and while there may have been good reasons for them to build in G.R. I still think they should build and stay in Greater Lansing. It is true that in the 60's and 70's they knocked down the whole west side, as it use be called, and to see it still decades later used for surface parking lots disrespects the people of Lansing who gave up their neighborhood for the "Capital Complex". MSU should build there.
    There are no amenities on the south side of campus except horses and corn fields, perhaps the Trowbridge area will be developed more to provide for the people who will live and work on the south side of campus.

• The Hannah Plaza area continues to increase in density, which is closer to the medical campus. I guess we may see continued growth there, though it's not along a frequent bus route and there is no direct bus from Hannah Plaza to Grand River since the CATA bus that travels this route terminates at the MSU CATA Transit Center.

• Yeah the lack of CATA service was enough of a problem for the owners of the apartments to run their own buses. Hannah Lofts and Lodges at Hannah each run their own private buses through campus and into downtown EL. I'd be surprised if CATA doesn't offer service here sooner or later.

• Not to get too off topic, but CATA has basically stalled at about 11-12 million riders for quite a few years now, and they've not come forward with a millage increase to expand service in quite a few years. I'm actually rather surprised with how conservative they've been. Service all over the system needs quite a bit more frequency.

Over in Ann Arbor, they approved a 5-year, 0.7-mils millage, and did a major service expansion. Cheaper gas over that time and people having to figure out a reconfiguration of the routes didn't quite yield the ridership increases they wanted quite yet, but Lansing could certainly go for something maybe a bit smaller and have it be really successful. We've just kind of been stuck.

Personally, I want to see later night service, for one. Maybe after a certain time use the smaller buses as a kind of night-owl service if the ridership isn't there for the full-size buses.

• I agree that cata could be more creative in finding more riders. Late night service with smaller but good looking buses. I think the actual bus if it were say, very modern sleek and even comfortable would let people feel good about leaving their car for the bus. As has been said here before small neighborhood loops that could connect to other neighborhood hubs without going downtown. More and better shelters that are safe and cleanable and well maintained. Pave bus routes first, and provide a smooth ride.

• MSU has posted an update on their Construction Junction site.

Here's a link to their YouTube video:

Also, links to the construction web-cams: http://ipf.msu.edu/construction/construction-web-cam.html

• Here's a rendering of the new Interdisciplinary Science and Technology building:

There was also a story in the LSJ last week about the new Broad Business College expansion: $62M MSU business school expansion aims for Google vibe

• The College of Business expansion looks great. I'm just so disappointed to see MSU continue to expand on the southside of the campus, but at this point at least they are concentrating them together.

• Construction has started on the solar panels in the Commuter Lot. These solar panels will double as carports, so it's a great use to increase the value of the parking lot as well as make it more sustainable. The construction is scheduled to be completed by the end of December.

http://statenews.com/article/2017/04/solar-carports-construction-begins