MSU Development

Comments

• I missed these posts...

@MichMatters I think he's referring to the main computer rooms moving to the new data center. I've heard no plans of tearing the computer center down and it's not one of the buildings listed for demolition in the master plan.

@gbdinlansing I couldn't agree more about keeping what's left of the older buildings. I'd be a little surprised if they actually end up demolishing Giltner Hall, unless it has a wood structure I can't imagine any reason it couldn't be restored and put to good use.

• edited May 2017

Does that mean that they'll no longer use it as the computer center, though? Have they mentioned what they'll fill the empty space with/how they'll reuse the building? I have so many good memories of the building.

• I haven't seen any mention of what it may be used for, but I also don't know where that sort of information might be available.

• "The Michigan State University Board of Trustees will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Board Room of the Hannah Administration Building.

The board will consider the authorization to plan for an addition to and renovation of the Music Building, which will be largely supported by donor funds."
  • Music at Michigan State University will make a bold transformation with the June 21, 2017 MSU Board of Trustees approval to plan a major new addition and significant facility renovations to the College of Music. Thanks to more than $7 million in initial gift commitments from several donors, preliminary plans detail a $35 million project that includes a 35,000-square-foot expansion and 8,500 square feet of renovated space.

Conceptual rendering of the proposed Dick Charles Jazz Bistro.

• More good news for MSU, though I do hope they go with a fundamentally different design for the expansion.

While on MSU:
    -Site work on the Interdisciplinary Sciences building has been underway for a couple months and it looks like foundation work for the building has now begun.
    -Demolition/site work for the business college addition started a week or two ago.
    -The support structures for the solar panels are up in one of the lots on Mt Hope and they's fairly prominent. I think the other lots already have the foundations ready to place structures.

• I had seen the structures for the solar panels the other day, and I was kind of surprised how large they are. I had a car port size in mind. These panels will really be gathering a lot of energy, which is very cool for a parking lot.

• I will have to slow down and take a good look at the new solar panel arrays installed in the two east side parking lots at MSU. They are really shinny! They are kind of shocking to see out there in the middle of the woods and fields, like the wind mills in Ithaca. At first I thought I did not like looking at the wind mills, but now I like them, thinking about all the clean energy they produce. I guess the solar panel array parking lots will grow on me as well.
    One of the box offices for the Athletic Department is now open in the new building at Kalamazoo and Harrison, very nice and modern, along a couple of stores. Looks great! I can't wait to go to the game Saturday, for the first time since 1981, I hope the Spartans do better than that year! It will be very interesting to see all the improvements made since then.

• edited October 2017

Looks like East Lansing has put out a bid request for an extension of Wilson Road:

MSU's website plans to start by next March and be done by next October.

• Reconfiguration and reconstruction of Wilson Road, Fee Road and Parking Lots 30 and 32
    • New traffic light intersection at Hagadorn Road that will be integrated with railroad signals
    • New traffic light at the intersection of Shaw Lane and current Wilson Road (new road name TBD)
    • Improve water distribution in the region
    • Vehicular, pedestrian, and bicyclist safety improvements
    • Improved ADA crossings and compliance

It really looks like they are simply rerouting Wilson just south of the existing Fee Road, and moving the parking lots for those residential halls to the north side instead of the road instead of on the south.

This should really take pressure off of Shaw as all through traffic to and from Wilson is directed from here. You can technically use Fee Road now at the "end" of Wilson to find your way to Hagadorn, but it's not designed for that.

• Looks like a new bus stop going in on Hagadorn in front of Hubbard.