The Stadium Project

edited November 2006 in Lansing
This will be a thread to discuss the Stadium Project. It is my understanding that the Stadium Project will encompass a number of ideas and projects surrounding Oldsmobile Park and the Stadium District development.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    It will also be called "Stadium District." I'd always wondered why Pat went with Stadium District knowing the city was trying to create a district around his project that had already been named the "Stadium District?" The word district makes you think of more than one location, and when I asked Pat about it he said he had no plans to change the name. I hope he'd reconsider.

BTW, when I asked PSD director Kevin Green about this a few months ago, here's what I was able to gather:

1. Boundaries: The Grand River to the west, Kalamazoo Street to the south, the Csx Transportation railroad line to the east (the one that runs besides Clara's that marks the eastern border of downtown), and Saginaw Street (including the new Prudden and MotorWheels projects, though), to the north.

2. What this means: the grants for this district can be used for a number of things including streetscaping, signage, landscaping, and other cosemtic touches.
  • The Stadium Project I think was largely spawned because of the Stadium District development, if it weren't for that I doubt the Cool Cities grant would have been granted, if the city would have even applied for it.
  • Actually, the Stadium itself would have been enough to get this designated the Stadium District. The designation happened simply because the new city administration pushed for it. From what I understand these kind of downtown desginations weren't really high on the former administrations list of things to do for downtown.
  • There have been a few different forces that have wanted to see if creating distinct districts would help with the promotion of the areas. Old Town has been successful in being a district, but there are so many other areas that are non distinct. The Stadium Project, is without a doubt a huge catalyst in making the city's efforts to create a new district, the first that is attempted. There have been many conversations comparing the success of 'districts' in other cities to help focus redevelopment. Manhatten is a great example of distict success, Soho, Midtown, Meatpacking district.
  • Thats one thing I never really thought about, sometimes just giving an area an identity can help spur development. For a closer example look at the Heartside District in GR.
  • I've been emailing the council about being active (instead of reactive) in creating districts for years. Branding any area brings attention to it. Branding is such a big deal. Just look at Old Town for a local example. While it has quite a ways to go, there is no way it ever could have become what it became today without branding it. Before it was Old Town it was a loosely defined as Northtown and the Northside, but there was little cohesion to it. Branding concentrates resources.
  • I think that the name "northtown" really hurt Old Town, it associated with the "Northside." People from out of town never looked to favorably at the northside. The "Stadium DIstrict," gives identity to an area that could be referred to as either Downtown or the Eastside, I think that if this name catches on and they do a good job with signage this area will go through a mini building boom. I picture some rowhouse projects and low rise, 2-6 floor small and medium sized developments. I think the Stadium District will remain the anchor, and will likely remain the largest development in the area, besides a Lansing Center expansion.
  • I found this from Cool Cities:

Lansing- Economic Development Corporation of Lansing, Gillespie Development – Stadium District:

-The Catalyst project is privately developed Pat Gillespie building called the Stadium District building. This is a five story, mixed use, fun and residential building to be built on former city owned property to the immediate south of Oldsmobile Stadium.

-The Cool City Catalyst grant will be used to connect the District area's entertainment features, re-shaping its neighborhood image, helping to make the actual Stadium District building a development (job creation and private investment) success - inspiring the entire District area neighborhood to begin revitalizing into a thriving Cool City Neighborhood.

-The grant will be used for: Innovative, connective streetscape, wireless hot spots, wayfinding signs identifying the Stadium District area with branding and directions, a mural replacement on Riverwalk Theater, and other marketing types of public infrastructure.

-The Catalyst project and the Cool City Catalyst $100,000, together, can develop a new urban neighborhood that is deeply entrenched in arts and culture.
  • I really hope these pretty words and ideas actually develop into something tangible. The exact same thing was being said about Olds Park when it was completed, and while it laid a good base for future development, spinoff sputtered quickly. About all you got out of the stadium, spin-off wise, was the nuthouse, and the revitalization of part of the 600 East block of Michigann.

But, I do have more hope for the spinoff from Stadium District, as its a mixed-use development that will actually have people living, in larger numbers, downtown. My specific hope for greater Stadium District is that we'll find someway to connect Prudden Place and MotorWheels with Michigan Avenue. The synergy seems to be spreading development east, but I'd like to see development starting to go north and south, too.
  • Olds Park was huge for that area. Before if was by far the worst in the city, know as the sin strip. It had extremely high crime, far higher than what is in any neighborhood currently in Lansing. The Stadium District, Abrams Landing and any other future projectsin the area will all be, in fact, a result of Olds Park.

As for development going north and south, I think for now development should be strongly focused between Michigan and Shiwassee from the river to Larch, if that area can be almost completely built up than development can start to spread further. But scattering development wouldn't help much, it should be focused and grow from Michigan northward, so that if devlopment stalls for whatever reason, the things that do get built can remain successful without further infill needed.