Eastwood Downtown Development District

18910111214»

Comments

• A small development, but the old Irwin Union Bank up at 2326 Lake Lansing right across from Eastwood is proposed for reuse. Not sure how long the old bank building's been empty, but it's been for awhile, though whoever owns it has kept up the property well.

Anyway, according to the township's Wednesday agenda, the owner wants to redevelop the building into a coffee shop, retail, and office space. It's a fairly interesting little suburban office building in which the top floor overhangs part of the ground floor. Glad to see it reused; I'll have to try and find a picture of it.

In other news, Lake Lansing has been torn up from the city limits on the south/west to almost Wood Road. They've milled the top surface off and I guess will be relaying it pretty soon. The truck traffic on this road absolutely destroys it between Granger and the cement and gravel companies and such. Hopefully, the city's portion of Lake Lansing won't be far off.

• I think there could be a truck haul route to the landfill/concrete factories and using access from N. East Street/old 27 up from Lansing and down from I-69. Get at least some of those trucks off of Lake Lansing Road.

• Cantina Eastwood, Starbucks planned near Eastwood Towne Center

LANSING TWP. - A new Mexican restaurant and Starbucks coffee shop taking shape near the Eastwood Towne Center are on track to open by this fall.

Cantina Eastwood will occupy the 4,500-square-foot former home of Tony Sacco's Coal Oven Pizza in the Heights next to Capital Prime.

Tony Sacco's, the first tenant in the Heights development located behind the Eastwood Towne Center, opened in the space in 2012. It closed in November of 2016.

Cantina Eastwood, an "authentic upscale Mexican restaurant," will open there by the end of the summer, said James Erevia, its general manager.

The Starbucks is going in on Lake Lansing in the old Irwin Bank branch and office and there will be office space on the upper floor as well as space for another commercial tenant on the ground floor next to the Starbucks.

The renovation of a former Irwin Union Bank location on Lake Lansing Road across from the Eastwood Towne Center will also bring a Starbucks to Lansing Township.

Doraid Markus represents the developer of the renovation at 2624 Lake Lansing Road, Birmingham-based Lake Lansing Investment Properties.

The project involves retro-fitting the 10,000-square-foot, two-story building to make room for the coffee shop and another first-floor retailer, Markus said. The second-floor will offer office space, he added.