Streets & Transit

Comments

• Yes, the trend in the last decade or two has been road diets, so no streets are going to go back to more lanes.

• I live on S. Washinton Ave and have noticed the three-lane configuration works very well even at "heavy traffic" times. I think three-lanes could handle the traffic where it is currently 4 between MLK and S.Washington, and on the east end as well. This would leave room for dedicated curbed bike lanes, and sidewalks where there are none today.

• edited August 2019

Capitol Avenue resurfacing starts:

BTW, having used MLK recently really brought home just how huge the street is. Like, it's big enough where you could have a boulevard, and still have room for a bus lane and a non-motorized pathway. I really do wish they'd road-diet this one.

• edited August 2019

WILX is saying the M-99/MLK reconstruction project begins today. This stretches from Victory Avenue near the JAIL railroad tracks where the boulevard ends all the way down to I-96.

M-99 in Lansing to undergo multi-million dollar construction

LANSING, MI. (WILX) -- Another massive road construction project kicks off today in mid-Michigan.

Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard is undergoing a multi-million dollar upgrade that will last through November.

Starting Thursday, the Michigan Department of Transportation is going to be repaving MLK between Edgewood Boulevard and Victor Avenue in Lansing.

MDOT workers are going to be moving signals out Thursday to begin closing down the right two lanes.

Once the signals are set up the construction will start.

One lane will be open in each direction, and center turn lane will be open.

• MichMatters, I agree. There is space on many right of ways around the city to have bus lanes, nonmotorized lanes, and better streetscaping.

• Is the conversion to two-way still happening to roads downtown? I’d assume if it were, it would be done along with any resurfacing, but the announcement doesn’t mention it.
  • edited August 2019

The conversion happens in mid-2020. The resurfacing was planned long before Lansing knew it'd get the money for the two-way conversion. It's also taking place along Allegan, Ottawa, Grand, Pine, and Walnut. The two-way conversion was the result of a huge budget "supplemental" the legislature passed after last year's elections, mostly a way for a bunch of out-going politicians to get their "pork" and surprisingly the governor passed it.

In any case, it won't take much to re-stripe the roads and then we also get the money for the required traffic signals and such. The most interesting thing about the project is that the traffic signals will have technology that will connect with automated cars.

• CATA's Nova buses finally hit the road.

CATA is the first agency in Michigan to buy from Nova, apparently.

• Is the new fleet all articulated buses? I guess these will be used on RT#1 and in East Lansing so I won't see one passing by my building. I do get to see the new Amtrak locomotives. which I a train "nerd" think are very cool from my windows every day, I'll take a CATAbus ride to check out the new buses this week.