Regional Politics

Comments

• Exactly. Recessions usually occur ~ every 7 yrs or so, and we've officially been out of the Great Recession since ~ 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recession#/media/File:U.S._Fixed_Investment_as_Pct_GDP.png

Plus, for what it's worth, there are some ambiguous signs that the US economy might not be as healthy as it seems (potentially overvalued stock market, weaker-than-expected job creation over the past year, the "sub-prime" auto loan bubble, the student loan bubble, the vast and growing generational income inequality, etc.). But I think that's a whole can of worms best suited for discussion elsewhere!

• By all accounts I've read there's no sign of a recession or even an economic slowdown. It's true that we're "due" for a slowdown but the last recession was unusually severe, probably the worst economic downturn since the great depression, so we may be poised for a longer than normal period of growth due the lows that we've climbed from. Even if we do experience a downturn it will likely be much milder than the previous recession and likely wouldn't affect real estate as much. I'm cautiously optimistic about the direction the US economy is headed, manufacturing is becoming viable here again, we continue to create new industries and we're still the place to be for entrepreneurs and innovators.

• I do know that recessions come in cycles, however, we happen to be in a global economy that is still expanding, with places like the African continent being included in development plans by China and the E.U. while they are still expanding their own economies. I am hoping that these plans will lead to millions of more people with money wanting to buy things we make in Lansing and the USA. If there is some sort of slow down I think Lansing will weather it well. Yes, let's get those shovels in the ground!

• edited January 2018

And finally we get a Committee on Development and Planning for the first time since November 20th. There was not single one in January, which is unusual, and only one Planning Board meeting (almost always two-a-month). I hope this isn't set to become a pattern.

Anyway, looks like the only major thing the committee will be doing on February 5th is voting on the special land use permit for the old warehouse conversion at 735 East Hazel (at Hosmer). The only other thing on the agenda is a vote on the extension of a PILOT for the Porter Senior Apartments on Ruetter Park to help with their refurbishment of the outdated senior apartments.

• Lots to take in after the election now. With Whitmer hopefully we'll see more infrastructure spending to fix the roads since that was her main agenda item. And with marijuana legalization we should see more taxes coming in too.

• edited November 2018

Lansing voters also approved the annexation of the nearly 11 acres of land on the southwest side of the city by a 61% to 39% margin. This has been a troubled area, and hopefully this will bring city resources to a part of Delta Township that that township treated as a red-headed step-child.

As the state level, the election of Whitmer and Nessel as AG should be very good for attracting and retaining young progressive folks, many who'd not considered staying or coming to the state because of the hard anti-LGBT leans and such of the previous AG. Both have said they want to expland the Elliott-Larson Act to include the community in the non-discrimination law. Currently, it is still completely legal to fire someone on the basis of sexual orientation and such in Michigan, which is crazy. In fact, every poll done on the expansion of the act shows some ridiculous percentage (over 70%) of Michiganders supporting the expansion of the law. With significant Dem gains in the legislature, they might be able to peel off enough Republicans to do it.

This new team will also be positive for better funding of transit and more transit-friendly laws. Maybe Detroit's RTA will finally be properly funded so that it can finally pass it's master plan and finally get that commuter line between Ann Arbor and Detroit, multiple BRT lines, possible expansion of the QLine, etc...passed. That'd be good for the state and encourage the other cities to get in on the game.

• Yes, this should be very good for all the reasons you have mentioned. The passing of Proposal 2 and 3 will also help our future out greatly. Less gerrymandered districts will remove more extreme candidates from both sides and should help get politicians that better represent the people of Michigan.

• I was sorry to see the annexation pass. It sounded like the owner of one of the commercial buildings there who was looking to open a marijuana-related business. Since Delta Township wouldn't allow it he wanted the area annexed by the city of Lansing with their seemingly more welcoming laws. I found it interesting that city councilmembers were against the annexation.

Probably the most disappointing part for me was his lack of payment of back taxes. I remember reading in the LSJ that he said he'd pay the back taxes owed if the annexation passed, instead of paying them before the election. And to top it off he isn't even an Ingham County resident. I think he was from Howell. Seems like a lot of red flags for someone hoping to open any kind of business, let alone one where he needs to convince local government to choose his business over others.

Sorry for the long rant. This one really bothered me.

• I think it is a good thing for this area to be under Lansing zoning and usage laws. I would like to see something like this happen on the east side. It seems like this fellow moved a lot of heaven and earth to make this happen to get on the ballet and passing. I am hoping this would indicate that the owner has plans to improve this strip. There are going to be marijuana businesses and I think we should stop looking at them as a nuisance, they will now be regulated and taxed. You can buy real deadly poison, tobacco and alcohol on almost every corner, substances that kill so many every day, yet this culture is celebrated while marijuana has this shady negative place in some people imaginations. Most things people who do not use marijuana believe about marijuana are not true. It is such a great thing that this ridiculous prohibition is ending here in Michigan!

• Much was made of the marijuana aspect of this annexation, especially the busybody "church lady" faction - as I call them - on the city council. But what was never focused on is the owner behind this annexation owns one property/lot of the nine or so annexed. There are many other businesses and potential business and development opportunities along this strip.

For me, anyway, this owner was always kind of incidental to the whole thing and the positive aspects of this annexation. This area has been troubled and a "frontier" of sorts, and a big part of that is that it's been outside of Lansing's control despite it being part of the contiguous urban area. The big thing about the annexation is that the area will now be under the jurisdiction of the Lansing Police Department. They use to help out the Eaton County Sheriff's Department, but only when asked to. This will potentially lower crime in this area, which would help attract business to that side of Waverly.

Aside from that, with the area now being under city control, the city can use economic development tools that the township didn't have and wouldn't have cared to use on that area, anyway.