General Lansing Development

Comments

• OK, It's just a kind of silly confusing name to me, I'd want to make sure everyone knows it is a restaurant if it is open to the public. I do think it is one of only two restaurants in Lansing that has a river view, I would include that fact in the name! Best of luck to all over there.
  • "Gillespie mentioned in an article in the LSJ that Sears still has 10 years left on their lease. They may try to sublet or find someone to take over the lease. I hope we don't have to wait 10 years for a new building here. "

Jared - Considering how cash strapped sears is right now, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were willing to sell the lease back to Gillespie at a discount for cash-in-hand.
  • Hopefully it goes that way since bankruptcy court can be slow.
  • It is interesting to think that the huge parking lot around Sears was one big reason many folks left downtown forever and now it sits there a huge empty parking crater. That lot is a very large area, I could see a whole neighborhood of housing and retail going in there. Before that, I would like to see the street that passes through Frandor and by Sears be rebuilt as a real street with curbs green space and sidewalks. I don't know why Sears would want to hold on to a lease for a closed store, I think they will be happy to give that up and if the Red Cedar development looks to be successful there will be something going up there very soon.
  • edited November 2019
    Looks like the tax increment financing (TIF) plans for the corridor improvement authories (CIAs) for Michigan Avenue and Saginaw Street were passed, yesterday: https://www.lansingmi.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=344
    Building on a solid 10-year foundation of planning and collaboration with the City of Lansing, two neighborhood-led stakeholder groups are poised to move forward with plans to improve key business corridors in the City of Lansing.
    “Corridor improvement has been a goal since my campaign. We want walkable corridors that generate excitement, jobs and vibrancy at the entrances to the City of Lansing,” said Mayor Schor. “Upgrading the Michigan Avenue CIA and the Saginaw Street CIA will have a tremendously positive impact on our east side and west side corridors. These corridors, in addition to the work that’s already started on Grand River in the Northwest of the city and on South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in the southwest of the city, will greatly benefit all who live in and visit Lansing!”
    The Michigan Avenue Corridor Improvement Authority (MACIA) and the Saginaw Street Corridor Improvement Authority (SSCIA) both had their Development and Tax Increment Finance (TIF) plans approved by the Lansing City Council today. The plans outline the priorities and goals for the corridors and provide a revenue source to fund corridor improvements without raising property taxes or creating new taxes.

The improvements outlined in the plans are made possible by reinvesting the revenue growth from increased property values back into the same corridor where it comes from for the duration of the plans, which in this case is 15 years. These funds, when combined with other funding sources available to the CIAs, will be used to implement the plans priorities and promote additional development that in turn generates more revenue to reinvigorate the corridors.
  • edited November 2019
    Just a few general observations. I hadn't been down on Edgewood in quite some time, and noticed that the old Finley's was not only demolished, but the new Panera was open. I guess I hadn't been down there for longer than I thought. The new building appears to have spaces for at least one other business. It is substantially an increase in density versus the old restaurant building.

I also noticed the old "homeless hotel" appears to be fully renovated. U-Haul has it nicely lit and you can see it from quite a ways. I couldn't tell as I wasn't right up on it, but it appears that maybe they doubled the height of each floor by taking out the floor above?

Anyway, it was just notice to see the district thriving. They still need to do something with the traffic situation down there, though.

Oh, and another update. Just found out that the planning board meeting earlier this month was cancelled, and so is the one for early next month. So the form-based code won't be reintroduced until the January meeting.
  • The LSJ picked up on potential renovation of the Holmes Street School:

5a126042-d50d-4d54-908e-1e7f6670c2e9-MD7_7976.jpg?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp

After years of stalled development, rehab of Holmes Street School 'eyesore' set to begin this spring
    LANSING — A developer anticipates converting the former Holmes Street School, which has sat vacant for nearly two decades, into apartments by spring 2021.

Developer Jeff Deehan anticipates construction will begin this spring and take less than a year to complete.

Deehan's company, Dymaxion Development, plans to rehabilitate the three-story brick building, create 41 studio and one-bedroom apartments and add landscaping to surrounding green space.

Lansing City Council approved tax incentives for Dymaxion's $2.28 million project late last month. The plan, pending approval from the State Tax Commission, will freeze the property's taxable value for 12 years, allowing developers to pay taxes based on the property's worth prior to rehabilitation.

Blighted properties are eligible for the tax exemption under Michigan's Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act.
  • It will be a great day when I pass by this school and see the renovations have begun!
  • edited November 2019
    Both Edmunds and Eden Rock are opening back up, downtown:

c563e52b-fc5c-4d40-980c-b9d2138f7f7b-edmunds-2.jpg?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp

Eden Rock, Edmunds reopening in downtown Lansing
    LANSING – Two ghosts of downtown Lansing’s past are returning in time for Silver Bells in the City.

Two bars, the House of Eden Rock and Edmund’s Pastime, will open tonight in the 200 block of South Washington Square.

Both establishments were once downtown mainstays, but Eden Rock closed in 2015 and Edmund's in 2014.

Eden Rock, a onetime fixture at 205 S. Washington Square, is hosting Mayor Andy Schor's post-Silver Bells party tonight.

Owner Jerome Abood said people can expect a lot to be the same but he's updated the interior and decor.

“It’s a little different,” Abood said. “It’s been updated a little bit.”
    Edmunds Pastime, once on East Michigan Avenue, moved south, landing at 206 S. Washington Square. Edmunds closed its doors in 2014.

Tavern & Tap took over Edmunds former location in 2014. Edmunds is reopening in the former location of the Black Rose and Tavern on the Square.