General Lansing Development

Comments

• I read today via the MSN/LSJ online news feed, that the Mayor and developers are going to make a major announcement on the 8th of August about developments that "will transform the skyline of Lansing" with 450 housing units, retail, office, and green spaces downtown! that sounds exciting!
  • Chestnut quadplex - the most I heard is that too many neighbors spoke against it. But they were okay with two duplexes or a triplex, so go figure.

Planning Commission voted to approve the City Rescue Mission's move 5-1. Not surprisingly, property managers and apartment owners came out to speak against it, but no actual residents/tenants. Most brought up Reutter Park and current trespassing, but who knows if those people even stay at the shelter. But the shelter will have a day program so maybe more people will have a place to go during the day. They did softly commit to doing park clean ups and patrols.

Building inspector is checking out the QD property so I'll update you if I hear anything.

No one talked to Planning and Zoning about the Gentilozzi project so no details there but found this article about one of the brothers of the 'transformative' downtown project so I don't have a lot of hope for their follow through. The article lists two office buildings in addition to the old Strand Theater so I am guessing office --> residential conversions rather than new builds. I can't attend Tuesday so I guess we'll see what the news says afterward.
  • Relevant link for Gentilozzi story:https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2023/08/04/lansing-housing-developments-gentilozzi-andy-schor-jfk-investment/70529352007/
    -I'm cautiously optimistic here, he hasn't done a lot lately but he seems to take care of his properties. It's sounding like there may be a mid-rise or better among the three projects. Hard to get to 450 units at only 4 or 5 floors. Crossing my fingers hoping for something cool with the Atrium Building.

-I hadn't thought about the potential impact that the Rescue Mission could have on an already struggling Reutter Park, that is something that I hope attention is paid to.

-The neighborhoods attitude regarding the Chestnut quadplex is perplexing. Are they aware of how their neighborhood is viewed by outsiders? It's not good, not at all.
  • edited August 2023
    The QD thing was just some big dumpsters outside and the windows looked new, so it's possible it wasn't even any construction. The Lansing Industrial Center behind it looks like it was also getting new windows or something.

I feel like "transform skyline" kind of has to be a tower? You couldn't really call anything in the range of Block600 or Stadium District that.
  • edited August 2023
    Was trying to see if I could pull up any clues about tomorrow, and noticed the three lots immediately south of the South Grand Parking Garage and north of the Grand Tower sold for $2 million (I'm not sure if it's apiece or altogether) back in March, and they are connected to the Kosik's out of West Bloomfield...Might we finally get that tall Grand Tower development we saw years ago?
  • It's interesting to see Joe Kosik in this context. He's also the head of Wisconsin Resorts, Inc, which owns and operates all of the metro Detroit ski areas except Mt. Brighton, plus some others in MI, WI, and ON. I'm a snowsport enthusiest, so I'm familiar with his company.
    As for JFK Investments, their other properties are pretty suburban looking. I hope this is finally the realization of the Capitol Club Tower we were teased with so long ago.
    http://studiointrigue.com/capitol-club-tower

I wish I could watch the announcement live.
  • edited August 2023
    25-story residential building, hundreds of new apartments: Here's what $200M downtown Lansing proposal includes

12fe39d5-1b9b-4b75-9dce-2c094338aa41-Tower_On_Grand_2.jpg?width=660&height=372&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

LANSING — More than 450 new housing units would come to downtown Lansing in the next two years under a $200 million proposal by the Gentilozzi family, funded in part by the record amount of one-time grants in this year's state budget and millions in proposed tax credits.

Three projects by the longtime Lansing developers, in partnership with southeast Michigan investors, would create the tallest building in downtown Lansing, redevelop an existing iconic office building and turn several lots currently containing vacant homes into an apartment complex.

The developments, under the umbrella of New Vision Lansing, will be led by Paul, John and Tony Gentilozzi, along with Bloomfield Hills-based JFK Investment Company. JFK is owned by the Kosik family of Bloomfield Hills and led by Joseph Kosik.

16f3e9fc-a9d4-45aa-b64a-328d963dd8f1-Tower_On_Grand_1.jpg?width=660&height=660&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp
  • As cool as this would be- The Capitol Club Tower was also proposed....right before the real estate crash. A lot of people are anticipating another downturn in the real estate market, so this might just be a top indicator (again).
  • edited August 2023
    Oh, not today. We're not going to start pessimism, today; not with the tallest building proposed in downtown Lansing in since forever. lol

Initial complaint to me is that having your tallest book-ended by parking garages in 2023 seems to be going backwards. I was hoping that the tower would be built on the lot behind the Atrium Building and into the building so it'd have a proper front on Grand and do something for the street.
  • I think this looks pretty cool and very different than the recent developments. Which is great progress in my opinion. I think these projects will spur others. Making downtown a beautiful place where people work and live will help to create an "urban village" that will replace the office park/ major retail district that downtown was, but I don't think will ever be again. The concept has worked pretty well in downtown East Lansing, even when school is out there is a lot of activity and foot traffic, many retail shops are open past 5pm and pretty much all the restaurants at night. If you have the people there, you will have business.