General Lansing Development

Comments

• They said they have not decided on a design yet. But I wouldn't want to see anything looking like that. I would want to either see a basic stage built like the one proposed, or something modern, steel, glass and concrete.
  • Yeah, I agree that was a bad example. It looks too cartoony to me, but I would like to see a bandshell built, which could be a lot more modern looking than the picture I posted.
  • I don't know if I would want to see the band shell design in that part of the park. When I think of a appropriate setting for a band shell I think of areas more like the current sun bowl area on the east side of the river, near the City Market, or perhaps even the Salt Shed stage just north of the “open lawn”. The band shell design seems to create a more personal, enclosed feeling that goes well with bowl shaped seating. I would like to see one on a large scale someplace in the city (preferably near downtown).

I must admit that I am torn between supporting the idea of a stage of the proposed scale (something that Lansing needs… or at least should have to offer residents and visitors, alike) and keeping the large open lawn type area. Downtown Lansing doesn’t have a good open lawn so close to the CBD like what RFP currently has… I’m thinking back to the days of Riverfest and the midway space – not to mention other events that don’t focus on music or performing arts.
  • Now let me see if i am smart enough to add a picture... If I am then I'll let you know what it is.

Miller12.jpg
  • edited November 2007
    Sweet it worked! Ah, the little things in life...

Anyhow, the above picture is Miller Outdoor Theater in Houston, TX (naturally...) They have covered seating which is usually reserved (at a price) & hillside seating that is not reserved and has always been free when I have gone. I’d love to see Lansing have something like this. I can see it now! Summers would never be the same!

Some good Miller Outdoor Theater Pictures
  • edited November 2007
    This is funny. I've been emailing the City Council and the mayor's office about putting in a proper stage in thoroughly under-utilized Riverfront Park for years. lol

BTW, this won't take up anymore space than is already wasted by the broken fountain that has been in this location for years, now. Riverfront Park is our premier events park, and it's always been such an embarrassment, IMO.
  • I hope they use this opprotunity to remodel the whole park. It seems to me that in order to make this usable for events they would also have to put up a permanent fence around the park.
  • edited November 2007
    I'd hate to see this open spaced fenced in. In general, I hate to see any open space fenced off. The temoprary fencing is more than enough when the park is being used for events.
  • I think this should be fenced in and I think it would help the park. I'm not talking about chain link or anything, more like a 6-8 foot tall version of the new fence over at Mt Hope Cemetary, with plenty of gates to allow people to easily access the park when theres not a performance. The way their talking they want to have concerts and stuff there thrughout the summer, so why have to put up a temporary fence every time they charge for an event which could easily grow to be 10 times a year or more.
  • It looks like Gillespie may soon be starting phase II of Prudden Place. I drove by the empty land north of the North Precinct the other day and noticed that they've taken out the old section of Sheridan Street and the ground looks dug up. This will be the expansion of the parking lot, I believe to facilitate the construction of phase II.