General East Lansing Development

Comments

• edited September 2008
    My assumption is that there is a real estate sale between a couple owners that is pending based on the zoning change request. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of one of the local developers wanting to build high-density student housing within that area. This area is probably around 3 to 4 acres, so you're looking at a minimum of 54x2x4 = 432 bedrooms in the new project compared with 14x2x4 = 112 bedrooms that are currently there. A great investment for a developer if they can make the occupancy almost quadruple.
  • I was just thinking the other day how neat it would be for a mid to high-rise "V" shaped building to go where the old 7 eleven is. I think a project on that property is inevitable, and may not be too far off the way things are going.
  • I've been thinking about the same thing; that is, about the old 7-11's days being numbered. With West Village and City Center II going online in the coming years, the Delta is the last remaining section of the central city to redevelop.
  • edited September 2008
    Here's a panorama I shot today. The new 241 Louis St is on the right. I would expect to see a few more buildings like this announced for that neighborhood in the next year, especially when the ordinance above gets passed.

214-louis.jpg
  • Nice to see some quality apartments going up. I hope all the apartment buildings don't end up looking the same in this region once they re-zone.
  • edited November 2008
    On Wednesday's city council meeting:
    Set public hearing for December 2, 2008; Ordinance No. 1199; a request from Community Resource Management Company to rezone approximately 3.8 acres of land along Louis Street, Michigan Avenue, Delta Street, and Elm Place, from their current designation to RM-54, University Oriented Multiple Family Residential.
    ... and ...
    Introduce and refer to the Planning Commission Ordinance No. 1205: an ordinance to rezone the properties at 208, 216, and 222 Beal Street from the current designation of RM-32, City Center Multiple Family Residential District, to RM-54, University Oriented Multiple Family Residential.
    Looks to be some interesting property changes with both of these. The one on top was introduced a while ago, and it has apparently passed the Planning Commission part. It is now up to the City Council to approve.
  • Here is a street view of 208 - 222 Beal Street:
    2008-11-01_1824.png
  • I heard that the Blue Cross Blue Shield at Lake Lansing and Coolidge Ave has been sold. It has been closed down now for a while since BCBS has consolidated and moved operations to Creyts Rd.

I heard that a strip mall will be going in to the location, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Meijer bought the land to put a gas station there. They've been trying to build one now for a while.
  • Big Ten Burrito in East Lansing has closed. The franchise owners said that they couldn't find a buyer and are leaving the state after they graduate in May.
  • edited December 2008
    Not overly sad about that one, and nobody else should be either unless you absolutely loved BTB compared to the other million burrito places in East Lansing.

There'll certainly be some open EL Grand River real estate now with BTB and Steve and Barry's closing, and the LouHa's on GR between Bogue and Hagadorn moving to Okemos.