General Lansing Development

Comments

• I don't expect the Frandor area to change much until Frandor itself leads the change, by switching to more of a lifestyle center format. I do see a decent possiblity of mixed use developments going in along Michigan though, and possibly even between Clippert and 127. But I have to agree that this development is about the best that anyone could expect given the location, although the second floor office space would have been nice.
  • Yesterday I noticed a ~7 foot tall scaffolding is set-up on the sidewalk on Capitol running in front of the Boji Tower the entire length of the building and wrapping around the corner a little onto Allegan. No signs or anything...looks like the same scaffolding that was by the Representatives Office Building further up on Capitol, so maybe it's just window and facade washing?
  • Here is an updated panorama of the Pointe North development:
    pointe-north-development.jpg
  • Menna's joint on 200 block of Washington Sq. next to Brannigan Brother's seems to have had a bit of interior work done. There were people in there today and lights on tonight when I came home. They were supposed to have opened by mid-July and I haven't seen any work there in the last month, but they appear back underway.
  • Rumor mill: a new bar / grill is opening up at the corner of Cedar and Shiawassee where Club 505 was -- work is already going on to gut and renovate the interior. I heard it will be an upscale bar focused on music (not sure of a more specific theme, but I think live music might be part of the mix).

I walked by yesterday and workers were removing ugly ceiling tiles to expose a beautiful tin ceiling. If you were never inside of 505, I think any work on the interior will be a real improvement.
  • edited September 2008
    Sounds good. But I hope they do something interesting to the exterior, adding some windows would be nice. Also I don't know if it's been posted here, but the Famous Taco on Allegan is being turned into a bar/grill.
  • edited September 2008
    I agree. It looks like they are putting windows in. That alone would be a vast improvement over 505 (speaking in terms of urban design).
  • edited September 2008
    Yep, noticed this the other day. It seems they are either building or uncovering openings at the 505. I wasn't sure what was going on. Just noticed it the other day driving by.

BTW, it appears Walnut is close down north of Ottawa. Traffic has been absolutely horrible in central Lansing lasting past six. I was out today a little after five and it seems every east/west thoroughfare save for Saginaw/Oakland was completely backed up for miles all the way down to Mount Hope. They really could have engineered a better traffic pattern for the CSO work.

Aslo, the City Pulse reported in this weeks issue that LCC is in the very early conceptual development stages of planning a downtown performing arts center at Shiawassee and Seymour where Old Central stood until recently. It's part of the reason LCC wants to buy the North Capitol Parking Structure just to the west. LCC also has plans to put their culinary school atop the North Capitol Parking Structure and get new retail tenants on the ground floor where city offices currently occupy.
  • Kris Elliot has plans to move Troppo across the street to the northeast corner of the intersection of Washington and Michigan Ave. The new restaurant will be twice the size of the current Troppo. It will be built on the plaza in front of One Michigan Ave. Tavern on the Square will move in to the old Troppo location. Elliot said that ground will be broken in about six weeks.
  • Sounds like great project. So what I'm understanding is a 2 floor addition on the side of One Michigan, with a possible rooftop patio? I wonder if he plans on redoing the facade also.