General Lansing Development

Comments

• The Boji's are idiots. They gave proven that in multiple ways. My dad said their property maintenance in the state offices is horrible. And for another example look at their much-hyped rehab of the Hollister building, it's a joke, they didn't even replace the windows and the "limestone" is junk. They remind me of some fly-by-night repairman, except they deal with multi-million dollar office buildings.
  • Looks like we have the money for the clean-up of the City Market site, and the redevelopment of riverfront at Ottawa Street Station:

Bernero to Accept $4.2 Million in Grands for Riverfront projects

Jeremy W. Steele • jwsteele@lsj.com • September 25, 2008 • From LSJ.com

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero today will accept $4.2 million in state grants for two previously announced downtown riverfront projects.

State Department of Environmental Quality Director Steven Chester will present the grants at a news conference at 1:30 p.m. in the "sun bowl," behind the Lansing Center.

The city will use $3.2 million from the Clean Michigan Initiative for public riverfront improvements on the site of the Ottawa Power Station, which is slated to become the headquarters of the Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America.

A $1 million grant for brownfield environmental cleanup will be used on the site of the Lansing City Market, which will be razed and relocated as part of the $24 million Market Place project.
  • edited September 2008
    This is a disappointment, but perhaps LCC can go back and make this equitable for the city. I'm not sure if I believe the tough talking coming from the executive branch that this is over...

City Council rejects LCC parking deal
    Lansing is through negotiating the sale of the city's North Capitol Avenue parking ramp to Lansing Community College, according to Jerry Ambrose, the city's finance director.

After negotiating several months for a $2.7 million sale of the 600-space parking ramp at 316 N. Capitol Ave., the city administration was serious when it presented a final buy/sell agreement to council, Ambrose said.

Both Wood and Robinson said they had reviewed an appraisal recommending the sale of the ramp for $3.7 million if selling to an entity such as a public community college.

"I don't believe we should be selling property at below value when we have a ready, willing and able buyer," Robinson said. "That's our responsibility to make sure we're looking at the appropriate pricing."

Council members say it will cost LCC a lot more than $3.7 million to construct a new parking ramp. Some are confident that the city and the college will return to negotiations.

"I would imagine that they would approach us in the future," Robinson said.
  • That is disappointing. LCC would have rehabbed the ramp making it much nicer, and this may doom the possibility of a joint LCC/City Performing arts center, at least at the University Center location.
  • From the LSJ: Tonight's city council meeting may discuss a deadline to tear down the eyesore that exists on Kalamazoo Street.

It's about time. That building has sat there now for about two years I think.
  • Tearing down that building would be a good start at getting that area nicer, but it will need a lot more improvements to come in order to make it even presentable.
  • Yes, it's coming up on two years, and two years too long, if you ask me. It was the definition of "bombed-out". That it sits on a hill overlooking downtown made the destruction just that much more terrible to look at.
  • edited September 2008
    I didn't get to see the city council meeting on television, last night, but was just looking through the agendas, and did anyone else notice that a developer is asking for OPRA (Obsolete Property Rehabiliation Act) certification for the old Olofsson Factory at 2727 Lyons Avenue? This is the vacant factory on Lyons Park. It's right across the park from Lyons Elementary and the whole area can be seen looking west from the top of the Pennsylvania viaduct over the railroad tracks.

The company/developer is called Fivgen. I really wonder what they are looking to do with the place? Not that long ago someone was wanting to put some condos in the thing, but the neighborhood completely rebelled. I'd brought the old Olofsson factory, before. The Olofsson Corporation built specialty parts of machines. It was abruptly closed coming up on five years this month by the company that bought them out in 1996 (Precision Castparts Corp. in Portland, Oregon).
  • LMich,

The factory was bought by an industrial user who is consolidating operations into the building then expanding. They've been picking away at getting the building back to basic order due to the excessive vandalism, theft, and general wear and tear on the property during the vacancy. They were introduced to the neighborhood just shy of a year ago and were met with a lot of enthusiasm, should be a great neighbor... nice family owned business that is doing quite well.