General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Why is EL afraid of height? What is the reasoning of the council to need assurance that a large project won't be created? Does anyone know why the council is against these? It seems really peculiar...my only guess is that they want to keep the town atmosphere of EL.
  • The State News has a map of the properties that have been rezoned in the Delta Triangle. This may give more insight in to the impact of the rezoning. The city has said that they expect the housing to stay student-oriented.

The one area that I'm looking specifically at is the area bound by Michigan Ave, Louis St, and Elm Pl. That is the largest continuous section of the rezoning.
  • edited January 2009
    The City of East Lansing has four projects proposed for the nationwide stimulus plan. They are:
    1. West Road project to connect East Lansing to Eastwood Towne Center. Cost currently undermined.
    2. Harrison Avenue renovation from Trowbridge Road to Kalamazoo Street $1,750,000
    3. Albert Avenue realignment $2,500,000
    4. Bogue Street bridge repair over the Red Cedar River $220,000
  • Hmm...they are all road projects. That was kind of surprising, to be honest.
  • edited January 2009
    Yeah, I was expecting one of the proposals to be related to City Center II or East Village or a number of other projects that have been talked about and don't seem to be moving right now. I'm wondering why they left it out?
  • To be fair, though, the spirit of the stimulus wasn't meant to prop up private development projects.
  • edited February 2009
    At Tuesday's City Council meeting, they will introduce and set for public hearing for March 3, 2009 a rezoning of Gaslight Village:
    Introduce and Set a Public Hearing for March 3, 2009 for an application from Branoff Investment Group, LLC for a Modified Site Plan Approval for Gaslight Village. The site plan for the 12.3 acre parcel, located at 6210 Abbot Road, consists of 60 dwelling units and approximately 18,000 sq. ft. of retail space, including 40 townhouse dwellings and 20 apartments, marketed as condominiums. The proposed modification would change the conditions of approval to allow a family or three unrelated occupants to rent a unit.
    It looks like Branoff bought the property and plans to continue construction if they can get this rezoning passed. The big deal here is that they will be able to rent a unit out to three students, whereas before they could have only rented a unit out to two students, which was too expensive for most students.

They will also introduce an application from GreenStone Credit Services to build a headquarters off of West Road:
    Introduce and Set a Public Hearing for March 3, 2009 for a Site Plan and Special Use Permit and Wetland Permit application from GreenStone Farm Credit Services for approval to construct a 74,437 square foot office building on the approximately 15.2 acre parcel at 3515 West Road.
  • edited February 2009
    I've got a new camera!

Brother's Grill opened about six weeks ago in the old location for BTB (aka Big Ten Burrito), between Starbucks and Student Book Store on Grand River. I went there last night and had a great burger and fries for $5.50. Here's a picture that I took while there:

img_1389.JPG

Note to self: I could have gotten a better picture of the menu, and the timing of the picture makes the staff look like ghosts. I'm going to have to work on my photography.
  • Glad to hear you're back taking photographs. My rechargeable batteries died weeks ago, and I've just been too lazy to replace them. The winter cold will do that to you.
  • edited March 2009
    MSU technology transfer office relocates to East Lansing SmartZone

EAST LANSING, Mich. — The city of East Lansing and Michigan State University announced today that MSU Technologies will be the anchor tenant in the city’s SmartZone space adjacent to the new East Lansing Technology Innovation Center. ... It is located downtown at 325 E. Grand River Avenue, above Barnes & Noble Booksellers. The MSU technology transfer office will move from its quarters south of campus on Collins Road to the SmartZone, which clusters technology-based enterprises with support facilities.

MSU Technologies, currently located in a 3,600-square-foot space within the MSU foundation-owned MBI building, identifies and commercializes inventions created by MSU’s world-renowned researchers. The office has a growing staff of 15 full-time employees who work closely with MSU inventors and with businesses interested in licensing the inventions to create new products and services. MSU Technologies’ relocation to the Technology Innovation Center will not only accommodate continued growth to some 20 full-time employees this year, but will also provide space for a planned MSU internship program.

Continue reading the article...
    This is good news for the incubator. With the economy the way it is, I think that it hasn't really seen the amount of activity that it deserves. I wish IBM would have made the decision to lease 10,000 sq ft for their offices on Grand River instead of the old MSUFCU headquarters. The more full-time employees we can get working in downtown East Lansing, the better for the businesses in the summer who struggle when all the students leave.