General Lansing Development

Comments

• This is great. I'm trying not to take it too much for granted that they would come downtown. Alot of other cities would just assume they'd move to another suburb/township somewhere, maybe not even in the greater Lansing area. Maybe...just maybe, Lansing is becoming a strong urban center with a progressive urban mentality. Let's hope we keep heading that way!
  • MM, I also think the new Troppo is going to have a moderate to significant impact on the streetscape. Also, with them and Tavern right across from eachother, I wonder how possible it is that they could establish a critical mass at that corner to bridge the night life between Wash. Sq. (Kellys, Brannigan, Firm, Xcel, old Tavern) and the Michigan Ave. night life (Rum Runners, Nuthouse, Harem's). Right now, the Michigan/Washington intersection is a quiet dead spot as you travel between the two hotspots. With Tavern and Troppo right on that corner, maybe it will spread out the nightlife to have a solid run of night spots from Rum Runner's to the Firm. More people walking between all the bars than driving, etc. adding to the urban environment of downtown.
  • I was also just thinking about how all this recent news relates to the argument critics of downtown development use. The argument that developing downtown is down at the loss of the surrounding neighborhoods. However, by developing downtown, Lansing is clearly starting to be successful at retaining/attracting companies, with BCBS/AF/MSP moving/growing downtown which translates to more jobs for citizens (regardless if you live in a neighborhood or downtown) and more tax revenue for the entire city.

The theory sounds nice, but it's kinda exciting to start to see some anecdotal evidence to support this. Now we just have to see how much of a visible impact the increase in jobs has once AF expands, BCBS moves downtown, MSP moves downtown, etc.
  • I don't think Michigan and Washington will have any real chance at a meaningful connection until the parking lot at Michigan and Grand is developed. To me, it's been one of the glaring holes, as it's a major 'entrance' to downtown when coming from the east both visually and in terms of creating a cohesive district. The westside of Grand between K'zoo and Michigan really needs some storefronts instead of simply serving as a parking 'backhouse' for Washington Square if there is any kind of hope for a real urban feel. It's the difference between being a one or two-street town and a legitimate urban center, IMO.
  • Good points MM. I still hope Tavern/Troppo on the corner will make an impact, but your comments about the need for change on Grand is dead on, especially in terms of shifting from a one/two street town to the urban center it hopefully is moving towards. You think adding MSP workers and residents in Capitol Club would make a difference for that Grand Ave. transformation?
  • I had two friends who live in Lincoln Park Chicago and work on Wacker Dr. spend this past weekend with me downtown Lansing and he made a comment that I have way more non-chain restaurants around me than he does by the Sears (ahem, I mean Willis) Tower. Things like the Doghouse, Kewpee, Dimitri, Jalapeno, Sultan, Daily Bagle, etc. It was kinda cool to hear that.
  • edited October 2009
    MSP and Capitol Club will only have an impact on Grand if there are actually places along Grand to walk to. As it stands, now, there are literally two retail businesses (and just one of those is a storefront) along the entire length of Grand: Hack's Key Shop between Allegan and Washtenaw and the Apothecary Shop way up near Old Town at Madison) Not that having to walk an extra block to Washington is an oppressive task, but Grand is a complete and utter dead zone, downtown. I'm just not a fan of one-street towns, especially the size of Lansing. There is barely any retail along the side streets.

Downtown Lansing's got a great base to work from, but it needs some MAJOR filling in in terms of retail, and that means actually physically building new rows of storefront in as many places as we can stick it. From a distrance, the downtown looks fairly dense and urban, but when you actually get down there, outside of Washington Square, it feels like a giant office park, if even an historic one.
  • edited October 2009
    It seems like we often end up talking about Grand Ave's potential. The west side of the street from Kalamazoo to Michigan is basically a blank slate, with no buildings worth saving. The east side is occupied, but besides Grand Tower most of the land is underused (even MSP's new building). The transition to a two way street ought to really help lure mixed use development.

As for that all important lot at the corner of Grand & Michigan, I won't mind it sitting there for awhile. I want to see that lot saved for a truly impressive project, something at least 20 floors. I still vaguely remember the office tower proposed for that lot in the 90's, I think it was going to be like 15 floors.

I too am happy with the size and height of Troppo, I just hope they stick with their idea to offer rooftop dining. Just fyi, they started putting up the brick today.

Pic from last weekend:
    th_IMG_0286.jpg
  • I stopped by tonight and noticed that it looks like they are definitely going forward with the rooftop dining. The top of the 2nd floor appears to have railings, and in the center there is roofing going up that appears to be to be an area with coverage but no walls while the front and back (east and west) are completely open.
  • I know this is kind of random to bring up but I was curious what other peoples thoughts are. Does anyone else expect a project or two to be announced in the next couple weeks? With the elections coming up I would expect Bernero to have something up his sleeve.