General Lansing Development

Comments

• Allegan is now open...and even more exciting, the street lights are up and working on Grand Ave. for the first time in 2 years!!! It looked really nice to see this morning.
  • edited November 2009
    It sure does. As I said back on the 13th, the white lights look very nice. I was always skeptical of these LED's, but they make the city looking very classy. If I had a camera that took decent night-shots, I'd go down and get some pics one day. lol

BTW, I was able to access the property look-up tool on the assessor website, and was able to find that 804 West Ottawa is an actual physical location on the block that's to be SOBI Square. I figured, now, that this is one of the existing homes that Townsend wants to incorporate into the project. It's a beautiful old brick house just about across from the Hall of Justice that I really should have remembered, because workers have been working on it for what seems like forever. A big, old tree blocks much of the front of the house, which may be why it slipped my mind. According to the assessor website, though, it was sold to Townsend's company and then recently sold back to a Nancy Fletcher at the beginning of the year. Maybe, this is a sign that the project may start soon?
  • I noticed on Friday night after Silver Bells that the new BWL chiller building off of Allegan had what looked like permanent lighting on the sides of the buliding and they were alternating colors as I rode by on CATA. Not a huge thing, but kinda interesting.
  • Yeah, the lights on the chiller are interesting. They're just like the ones on Deja Vu...
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, they sure are purple-colored, aren't they? lol BTW, I like the fairly large windows that allow you to see inside the lighted building.
  • Bud Kouts Chevrolet is moving it's used car lot from the current site at Michigan Ave. and 127. Michigan Flyer is saying they might build a bus terminal that would include it's corporate offices, bus depot, parking and potentially a coffee shop. That would be a nice place to build a nice sized building.

The article also exhibited why I think the exisitence of Lansing Township is ridiculous. Bud Kouts used car lot is in Lansing Township but the main Bud Kouts across the street is in the city limits.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091201/NEWS03/912010318/1004/NEWS03
  • That would be great reuse for that property!

Micro, I completely agree with you on your thoughts about Lansing Township - especially in that area of town!
  • That is a really great idea - it'd be a nice sized building and really add a 'big city feel' to the area. It would also increase the visibility of the Flyer and make it a more likely choice. I have somewhat mixed feelings about the Flyer myself - I just wish they could somehow integrate it with Fly Lansing. There's got to be some sort of cross-promotion or something they could do instead of just making it so easy for Detroit to siphon off our air traffic.
  • I really like the flyer and I don't have a problem with it siphoning off of our air traffic from Lansing to Detroit. I've done that flight before and it has been faster and more reliable to take the flyer.
  • edited December 2009
    If you're a booster for Lansing, you should have some problem with it, because it is directly siphoning off potential Lansing flyers. That is, unless you don't want or care to see a commercial airport in Lansing. That was a really weird thing to say, even if the actual service is nice (and it is; I've known a few that have used it).

BTW, the building on the site won't be big. It'll be a bus terminal, and smaller than a typical transit station because Michigan Flyer is a niche operation with a few runs per day.