Marketplace

Comments

• Just returned from the new market with fresh fruit and vegetables. I think the new layout is a win, much better market feel with everyone in the same large open area. The painted walls (unique colors) are also a small nicety. Once all the vendors are in there, the restaurant opens and with the new better hours, I'm holding out hope that together this can make up for some of the external building deficiencies. Also, the view as you step out of the west entrance of the market is fairly impressive, can't wait till AF is done!
  • edited January 2010
    Made it down there very late because of work, about 15 minutes before their closing at 5:00, though, upon looking it didn't seem that they were packing up to leave. Anyway, my observations:

- Despite my bitter criticism of the exterior architecture (and that hasn't changed), I'd always said that this market would function as well as, if not better than, the old market. I wasn't wrong. I wasn't sure how I'd like the layout, but it's just great. You have the larger vendors such as bakeries, restaurants, and such along the walls, and the smaller vendors clustered around the middle. You see just about all of the businesses when entering the front of the market. It has a convention center-type feel; I'd almost say it feels a lot like the main hall of the adjacent Lansing Center. My only criticism of the layout is kind of related to the spaciousness. Because the hall is so high and cavernous -- which you'd probably not guess from the outside -- it's not as intimate and friendly as the old market. This impersonal feeling could be lessened, quite a bit, if they ever get the second-level mezzanine in place to kind of break-up the space.

- My second observation is that though it was crowded even near the end, they (LEPFA) really should have seen to the move being more seamless. I realize that they absolutely HAD to open it, now, since the vendors were beginning to lose days and thus money, but that so few vendors were open, and that those they weren't had equipment so scattered around their 'stalls' really didn't leave the best first impression.

- The relocation of the market just a feet away from the other one and closer to the river made more of a difference than I thought it would. The view out of the west entrance across the river is just amazing, and will be even more so in the Spring and Summer when the place gets hopping, and will REALLY be awesome once AF finishes their headquarters next year, as well as Market Place getting started. They'll have a built-in customer base just meters away, and I can't ever see them withering away like some of the vendors at the old market. I'd really suggest to them cutting some windows into the east facade so that people can get views of the stadium, though. I talked to Alice (she was next to the cheese man in the old market), and she was really pleased with the new place and said she hadn't ever been this busy, and though it was because of opening day it was even more so because of the layout.

All in all, I was very, very impressed; more so than I thought I was going to be. If they can just find the money for a brick-and-stone facade, and if LEPFA just becomes a bit more attention to detail in general (the logistics of the move weren't as thought out as they should have been), this will be a roaring success.

BTW, does anyone remember the dates the development agreement set for the demolition of the old market, and when construction on Market Place has to begin? I do remember there being deadlines for the opening of the new market, demolition of the old one, and at least a groundbreaking for Market Place.
  • A picture from today:

th_DSCN0038.jpg
  • Wasn't sure where to place it, but thought I'd put it here since it's in the development area. Oldsmobile Park is FINALLY getting a new name: Cooley Law School Stadium. A member of Cooley's Board of Directors, James Butler, felt that this would be "very good for attraction of new students." I think that might be a stretch, as the Park is hardly known outside the Lansing area, but hopefully this deal brings some cash and (possibly) renovations.
  • edited February 2010
    That's definitely a "general Lansing" type subject. Anything that doesn't fit into the listed subjects can go in the general/catch-all discussion thread.
  • Shopping and Skating

The city is applying for a grant to build a year-round outdoor skating rink near the City Market. This would be another great addition to that area.
  • edited March 2010
    That'd be so awesome. I'd written council members and the mayor many times before about a downtown skating rink. After seeing the one at Campus Martius is downtown Detroit, I became a big fan of downtown rinks.

BTW, the old City Market was supposed to begin demolition earlier this month. I wonder what happened?
  • Interesting news out of Grand Rapids today on their efforts to build an urban market downtown.
    GRAND RAPIDS -- A dilapidated produce distribution center at the southern end of downtown could become a hub of commerce for local farmers, food makers and artisans as part of a $27 million urban market concept unveiled Wednesday.

Grand Action, the private group that led efforts to build the Van Andel Arena and DeVos Place, said it would forge ahead with plans to develop an urban market offering space for vendors to create and sell a variety of foods and other goods.

The market also is envisioned as an educational facility with a greenhouse, demonstration kitchen and meeting rooms that will help people better understand local food systems while teaching about healthier eating.
  • edited March 2010
    $27 million comprehensive project? Ours was $1.1 million, right? And we quibbled over every single penny of it as if it'd be the end of the world if we went over budget. lol Some places just know how to dream big and get things done, and others don't.
  • I know, seeing projects like that in a city as similar as Grand Rapids makes me want to give up on Lansing. We really need to get our act together if we're ever going to be competitive.