General Lansing Development

Comments

• I'm distressed to hear about the demolition. Unless something is immentently planned, the city (and local developers) really need to stop demolishing for more parking, especially in that particular area. I see the last remaining house across from Sunset Market downtown Kalamazoo has been red-tagged, recently. It'll probably end up a parking lot (or even worse, a dirt lot as is common in that area), too. If anyone looked at those great aerials posted a few days back, they'll see that outside of the stadium and Stadium District, there are is a helluva lot of just plain ugly dirt on the eastside of the river, these days. It almost looks rural in spots from the air.
  • The Yellow Cab building is one building that I won't miss regardless of what the lands used for. It's such an ugly, dilapidated building, I think a parking lot or even a grass lot would be an improvement. This also basically guarantees that the site will be available for future development.
  • I thought this was a very interesting story: Unlike some cities, Lansing lacks major benefactors

I always new that Grand Rapids had a lot of benefactors, but I had no idea that Flint did. Anyways this drives home the point that Lansing is on it's own when it comes to big public projects.
  • In this weeks City Council agenda it looks like the approval for the liquor license at the Wild Beaver Saloon is going through, it will also include a sidewalk dining area.

There are also several resolutions regarding the old Marshall Street Armory: a rezoning request and several tax abatements.
  • Wild Beaver Saloon is up and running and this Friday and Saturday downtown was hopping. The weather probably played a part, but there was tons of foot traffic and people around downtown. Geno's Pizzeria (former Menna's Joint) was busy till close on Friday and Saturday. Things just looked really great for downtown this weekend and not just during the bar hopping times after 10pm.
  • I don't post much here, usually content to lurk, but I run the comic book shop in the 200 block of Washington (Clem's Collectibles) and we have an annual event called Free Comic Book Day that we hosted this last Saturday. Had almost 500 people come through, record traffic for us.
  • It's always good to hear that a lot of people were downtown on a weekend. So on free comic book day you actually give out free comics? I've never been into to comics but that sounds like a pretty good deal...

It looks like the old Temple Club will now become an entertainment complex, called the Temple of Michigan or "TOM," like the BOB in GR. It will include a bar, restaurant, entertainment venue and party store. It all sounds pretty good besides the party store, I'm not sure why they decided to throw that in the mix.

Lansing's former Temple Club could become entertainment complex
  • I was downtown yesterday and watched as Cooley was paving over the lot between the library and Knapps. There's no trees or islands in the asphalt lot, something I would have thought would be required.
  • I hate that lot, I hope Cooley doesn't look at it as permanent.
  • It looks like a permanent lot. They put in access off of Capitol Ave.