Marketplace

Comments

• Construction is far along for the restaurant inside the City Market, significantly more work has to be done, but it's coming along.
  • That's good to hear, I was wondering what was going on with that restaurant. Were there any signs or anything indicating when it was supposed to open?
  • DOE auditors visited the City Market and were very pleased---want to use the market as an energy success story. Natural gas load has been decreased by 2/3rds; new lighting beats the state energy code by 40% (clerestory windows, even on a gloomy Michigan day, offer 35 footcandles at the floor); solar reflectancy of the galvalume roof and upper band decrease cooling demand; fiberglass frames of the windows offer same thermal break as a wood window (in lieu of standard, commercial aluminum); 98.5% thermally-efficient hot water system; 10,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil removed from the site (petroleum and heavy metals).

The growing waiting list is driving the installation of the second floor sooner than later. the building was designed for the complete installation of a second floor within the existing volume without displacing any vendors--oversized columns and footings. Stayed tuned...
  • What are the chances at getting a masonry facade? I'm glad to see a new market and I'm glad to hear it's successful, but the outward appearance is still disappointing.
  • It was so busy when I was in, today. It's become more active than I thought it would. If they ever get Market Place built, it may really start hoping on weekday afternoons.

Yeah, I'd still love to see nothing more than for someone to drop some money for a masonry facade.
  • edited June 2010
    There was a sign just off the Rivertrail with some new renderings of the Market Place development. The design is sorta bland, but it looks decent, and at 5 floors, it's a bit taller than originally proposed.

022f3e30.jpg
  • Nice! Thanks for the update hood.

Gillespie also announce Lansing Metro Marinas yesterday where they will be offering boat tours of the Grand River. I thought the prices were pretty reasonable.

http://metromarinas.com/HoursandPricing.aspx
  • I'm wondering where they are going to dock it near City Market. I do like the idea though.
  • There is a kind of dock already there. A concrete landing, really. I've been a little unimpressed what they did with the riverfront "renovation" in the area.
  • I definitely liked their first proposal for the riverfront more, the one that looked more like a boardwalk. But the end product is still decent.