General Lansing Development

Comments

• It has been incredibly slow lately, but here are a couple of small bits of news:

This is great news, Niowave plans to expand to a new location and double its workforce.
    Niowave plans to expand operation, add employees

This could prove to be big if they choose to manufacture these Isuzu vehicles in the Lansing area:
    Spartan Motors revs up
  • It looks like MSUFCU will be moving into the building that Dimitri's is leaving: MSUFCU Lansing branch to open in '11

I would have rather seen this become retail/restaurant space given the location, but it is nice to see MSUFCU opening a location downtown. This also ensures that the renovation will top-notch.
  • edited June 2010
    I hope they extensively renovate the facade. You can tell it was an older building they tried to "modernize," but did a poor job of it. Hopefully, they give it a whole new face as I'm pretty sure the actual historic facade is all but destroyed. I'm a dreamer, so I was hoping the announcement would be that some kind of new multi-story building would go on the sliver of land. lol

BTW, anyone read the blurb in the LSJ that Mill Supplies, the company in the historic building across from the Lansing Center, has gone out of business? It's a machining shop that's been there since 1922, and has long since been surrounded by bars and such. Maybe, this will open up the building or site to an impressive development down the road.
  • Wow, I always thought that Mill Supplies sign was just a remnant of a long-gone business. I guess that will open up another slot for restaurant or club in that stretch, now I wish that they would open up the ground floor of that green building by the river to retail.
  • The OPRA for MSUFCU is in this weeks council agenda and it says that renovations are estimated at $2.9 million, and they expect to complete the project by January 31st, 2011. That's a lot sooner than I was expecting, with that kind of time frame I'd expect them to be starting on it just about any time now.
  • BWL has plans for a new natural gas electric and steam plant in REO Town. The project includes the vacant train station there. LSJ has the story.
  • edited July 2010
    I started a new thread for the BWL project.

In other news the they are going to be inviting graffiti artists to tag the Deluxe Inn July 30th through August 1st and at sometime after that the fire department is going to use the building for training.

Deluxe Inn demolition plan progressing; art project ahead
  • I could have sworn that I'd read a public notice in the City Pulse a few weeks ago stating the Land Bank was formally requesting bids for demolition for the Deluxe Inn, meaning that demolition is coming fairly soon for that property.

BTW, in this weeks public announcement the city is formally putting together a package to land the GM plant expansion that will make a new product as has een talked about in the media, lately. That the new GM retained the land that was once LCA Chassis next door to Lansing LGA (they sold or will be selling most of their excess property) and that we already have an incentive package makes me think we already have this project in the bag. The addition of these potential 600 new jobs would also be another huge boon for nearby REOTown and the city taxbase as a whole. I was kind of surprised to learn, too,that GM is only requesting a personal property exemption for the possible expansion, and not the whole goodie bag of credits and incentives developers usually ask for from the city.
  • It's rumored that the production of the Corvette is what they plan on moving to Lansing. I hope that proves to be true.
  • I like the idea of the public art at the Deluxe Inn but it's too bad that they will be destroying the artwork that is contributed.

We should get more public art installations within our communities, and allow them to be living art where other can come and add their own touch on a daily basis. Venice Beach, CA has a couple cement walls that were built specifically for graffiti use as an area of public art demonstration.