General East Lansing Development

Comments

• I am wondering what the status is of Lingg Brewer's third story addition project for his rental property at 500 Albert Ave? I was under the impression that the project was approved by the city earlier this year but there is no sign of construction. Does anyone have any insight on this matter?
  • edited May 2011
    If you go to the Post in EL, they're closing down for the summer because they will be expanding into the other store fronts next to them. There's a banner on top of the building showing a 4 story addition to the building for lofts. This will definitely change the face of downtown EL and hopefully spur on development for City Center.

http://stannelofts.com/ <<< That's exactly the same as the banner hanging outside of the post.

Haven't heard anything about Lingg Brewer's addition but they did convert those apartments from four 3 bedroom units to two 5 bedroom units.
  • I like the rendering of the building that it shows in the banner ( posted the image below.) It's sounding to me like this project is essentially a sure thing. I hope this, along with the project next door and City Center II get built and soon.

STALL_banner.jpg
  • What's the project next door to this?
  • This is the building that is proposed to go next door:

200albertave.png
  • Another relatively quick stay at the former Taco Bell building on GR and Bailey, as the State News reports that National Coney Station will close on May 6th. The owner's complaints that business decreased too much during the winter and summer breaks are credible, but there are a ton of other EL business that have survived in spite of those lulls.

I partially agree with the comment by a 2011 grad that closing during the weekends prior to any post-bar traffic having a chance to visit their establishment probably resulted in a sizable revenue loss. Menna's on Albert and Abbot is probably the standard for an eatery that takes advantage of the inebriated/hungry students at 2am. Unfortunately, National Coney wasn't in a high traffic bar area as it was, but I do think that could've helped.
  • That building kind of sucks though. I appreciate businesses trying to use an existing structure, but it really shows it's age (and not in a good way like say Curious).
  • I agree. I really don't think another business will succeed in that particular building. National really did give it a hefty face-lift, but even that wasn't enough. It needs to be taken down.
  • It really is so out-of-style and out-of-character with the surrounding buildings. I don't care how much they gussy it up; at the end of the day, everyone's mind still goes to "Taco Bell."
  • A story on the two Ann St developments: Developments set for downtown East Lansing

I'm glad to hear that these projects are moving along quickly, hopefully they stay on track.