Okemos & Haslett

1101112131416»

Comments

• The LSJ did an article on Meridian Twp developments to watch, the most notable thing to me would seem to be the absence of the Okemos & Hamilton development. I did not know that the four floor building at Newton & Saginaw was already up. The change along that portion of Saginaw is impressive, it'd be nice if the old drive-in/multiplex site could get a lifestyle-center type of development like was proposed awhile back.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2024/01/01/meridian-township-developments-to-watch-trader-joes/72002149007/
  • I noticed the steel beams going up at the Trader Joes site, and a new credit union building going up next door. Too bad they could not use the old Bank of Lansing building just up the road it is a pretty cool Mid-century modern building. Over on Marsh Road there is a huge senior housing building nearly finished, next door to that they are clearing an old shopping center, which is quite a large site. It seems like the LSJ missed a few developments out there.
  • Every one of those developments is mentioned in the article
  • Oh I was just commenting on the above post, sorry.
  • Putting a community center in the mall seems a very Meridian Township thing to do: https://www.wlns.com/news/meridian-twp-eyes-new-community-senior-center/

It just seems odd to invest so much taxpayer money into what I assume must be leased space that is attached to a mall. What if the mall owner goes bankrupt as they tend to do these days? Not really my business as I don't pay taxes there but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.
  • Not sure how I feel about that. It does raise a lot of questions, but I wonder if it's just because it's because adapting malls in unique ways is still relatively new. The tax payer part of it is a big question. That said, I think it is an interesting use for such a large, empty space. I'd be curious to see how it goes/does. Similar to you though hood, out of my tax paying area so my say doesn't really count lol.

They've hired a decent and sizeable Architectural firm so they're clearly pretty serious about it, I would assume.
  • I guess I'm just not a fan of facilities like this being in leased spaces. In the same vain I've always hoped for the South Lansing Library to get a permanent building to call home.

For the convenience of residents it certainly doesn't seem like a horrible move, maybe they're getting a great deal on the space from the mall operator as well.
  • A proposal for a Bath School Disaster Museum now has a few more details and some renderings. It'd obviously be a small thing for the area overall but still a cool and worthwhile addition none the less. Another good place in the area for children's field trips.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2024/05/17/bath-school-disaster-anniversary-museum-proposal/73717579007/
    73718104007-bath-museum-rendering-3.jpg?width=636&height=853&format=pjpg&auto=webp
  • It is a nice building, it seems unusual to have a museum dedicated to a horrible school bombing, I hope besides the memorial commemoration there is some more positive Bath School history on display.