Waverly Golf Course

edited August 2014 in Lansing
No telling whether this happens, but I thought I'd give this land its own thread.
bilde?Site=A3&Date=20140807&Category=BUSINESS&ArtNo=308070017&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Lansing-could-sell-Waverly-Golf-Course-Detroit-area-developer-5-8M-deal
Lansing's Waverly Golf Course with businesses on Saginaw Street in the background. / Greg DeRuiter | Lansing State Journal

Lansing could sell Waverly Golf Course to Detroit-area developer in $5.8M deal

LANSING — A Detroit-area development firm and restaurant franchise owner has offered nearly $5.8 million to buy Lansing’s Waverly Golf Course, seven years after it closed to golfers.

But Livonia’s Schostak Bros. & Co. said it’s too early to say what it would do with the 120-acre westside park, other than to market it “for a retail and residential development.”

Regardless, Mayor Virg Bernero’s administration on Thursday said the offer — more than $3 million more than the golf course’s appraised value — would mean more money for city parks and budget reserves. And, it would let the city shed property it owns in neighboring Lansing Township.

The golf course has not seen serious development offers in several years, partly because of its size and condition.

A purchase agreement is expected to be filed Friday with City Clerk Chris Swope. It will stay on file for 30 days before Lansing City Council is allowed to vote on the sale so the public can view the documents.

Schostak Bros. will be given 180 days, should council approve the sale, to complete what’s called a “due diligence” study on the property.

Lansing Township administrators would have to approve any redevelopment at Waverly because the golf course is located within its borders. Supervisor Kathleen Rodgers said she had not yet heard about Schostak Bros.’ plans, but said the township would be open to any zoning changes the company proposed.

The area currently is zoned residential, she said.

I hope that whatever eventually gets done that they keep at least part of it open-space.