Natural Lansing: Parks, Foresty and Nature

Comments

• edited June 2020
    We were talking about this in the general thread, but I thought it was even more appropriate, here. I passed Marshall Park this afternoon, and in addition to the streets they were planting in the treelawn along Saginaw, there were folks out planting a row of trees on the otherside of the fence within the park, too. Always good to see additional plantings.

Also, it didn't look like city workers doing this. I'm going to see if I can find out from parks & rec whose project this is.

EDIT: Looks like the city did buy the trees, but the county land bank got volunteers to plant them for whatever reason.
  • I always like to hear about more trees being planted! They have also planted a large number of trees planted in Hunter Park and last fall in Foster Park. There also new trees planted in Moorse Park where there are already a lot of trees! I also noticed it was volunteers who were planting the trees in Hunter Park. The city has pruned and trimmed the locus trees downtown nicely, they are looking much happier. I hope to see the seasonal plantings installed in Frances Park soon, the gardens look kind of abandoned this spring. The "sunken garden" is looking nice this spring, it could also use some more plants. Over in Cooley Garden, the peonies garden was very pretty this year and is just going past. No seasonal plantings there either but it is still a nice green shady place to visit. Not many people do.
  • I imagine COVID-19 stopped a lot of work by the Parks & Rec and Public Service (who does city forestry) early in the crisis. I've noticed that the city and MDOT are behind on mowing. Unfortunately, without the regular tax revenue coming in, we've actually probably not seen the worst, yet, since it's a lagging indicator. East Lansing alone has temporarily laid off 125 workers; the State of Michigan had to lay off thousands of workers. So lord knows how many employees Lansing had to temporarily layoff. And I imagine seasonal employees were the first to be let-go or not called up this season.
  • I was hoping that the garden club would start planting the annual gardens, they have been doing this for a year or two, the rose garden has been kept up. The city weeded and mulched the traffic islands on S.Washington in REOtown so maybe they will get to the other gardens this year too. I hope so, but if we have to wait until next year for things to get better Frances Park is still a great place and it is just another thing we can look forward to after "all this" is over. {just trying to stay positive:}
  • There is a large crane and construction site set up next to the Moores Park Dam, which I am wondering about. I thought they had finished work on the dam, so maybe they are doing something for the River Trail. I think I read where they are extending the trail down Moores River Drive, perhaps it is just some more work on the dam. After last month's storms, there may be some repairs or reinforcements that need to be done to prepare for the next 500-year storm!
  • I am happy to say that they have planted the annuals at Frances Park and the rose garden is in full bloom right now, check it out. The road is still closed but there is parking by the river. The wisteria vines have also finally taken a good hold of the new collonade structure and are looking very nice providing a shady place to sit. I hope the Mayor does not notice how nice it looks he would want to build a playground there. Rutter Park, a nice playground, looks awful, with no kids, just adults in the park. Waste of money!
  • edited June 2020
    GB,

Went to the River Trail's website, and the construction you're seeing is bank and soil stabilization projects paid for by the regional parks millage. The projects include:
    1. Land on the south bank and west of Washington Avenue. (completed June 24)
    2. Land on north bank and west of Penn Avenue, directly adjacent to the BWL storage yard. (starts June 25)
    3. Land on the Grand River at Frances Park. (after the BWL yard section is completed)
    This round of repairs also includes 6 River Trail bridge replacements or rehabs the most impressive of these projects being the replacement of the bridge under Cesar Chavez in Old Town. The bid package was completed, recently, and will open in mid-July and awarded in mid-August.
  • The Department of Parks & Rec introduced the 2020-2025 parks Mater Plan to the Council's Committee of the Whole earlier this week. It's a pretty big report, but the important stuff starts at p.189 on the council packet:

https://www.lansingmi.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_12142020-3274

My biggest one of the extension of the River Trail from it's existing northern end at Dietrich Park to Tecumseh Park.
  • I like the idea of being able to ride out to Bear Lake, those woods must be very old around that area. It will also be fun to ride out to the new Red Cedar area and Frandor. I am having a hard time picturing where the trail extension will be on Cambridge Rd., I guess it will be a marked bike lane in the street going around to the side entrance of the west side parking area in Frances Park. There are two entrances on that side. I find this plan very ambitious and hopeful and who knows if Lansing starts getting more money from the Feds in the new administration we could see even more improvements and expanssion of our trails and parks.
  • edited December 2020
    From the Public Service Departments webpage:
    On-Going Projects
    • Moores Park Bridge and the 3 Bridges West of Potter Park: These projects are currently in the process of rehabilitation and will start up again in Spring 2021.
    • Bridge 18 (just east of Krueger's Landing) and 31 (located under Cesar Chavez Bridge in Old Town): Full and partial replacements as needed.

Projects Ready for Construction
    • Bear Lake Pathway (from Cavanaugh Road to Forest Road): Construction will begin this winter with stump removal and will be completed in 2021.
    • Forest Road Pathway: Construction will begin in 2021 along with non-motorized facilities on Collin Road.

Projects Ready for Bid
    • Bridge 21 (Forest east on the City of Lansing River Trail, near Clippert Street): A bid was just recently sent out for opening mid-July. The work for this project is scheduled for late August 2021 and includes replacement of the bridge and pathway between CSX and CN railroads

Pics:

Document?documentID=11487

Document?documentID=11486

Document?documentID=11488