Lansing History

Comments

• You got it right it seems to be second LSJ building. If you google image original Lansing State Journal Building there is a little drawing titled Lansing State Journal's New Home, [ don't know how to transfer it here] that looks like this building. then another the sites the building on Grand Ave right on front of the Ottawa Power plant. Now I can figure out why there is a big smoke stack in the background. Check it out!
  • It's definitely not the old LSJ building, besides that I'm not of much help identifying it.

635840687957358988-LSJ-History-Building2.jpg
  • edited July 2016
    I found an aerial showing the area near Ottawa. I could maybe see it being the building at the end of Ottawa in the first image, with the smokestack behind it.

Lansing-aerial-700x557.jpg
  • That was helpful....it is the building behind the old LSJ building. Not positive what it originally was used for. Found another view which is almost the exact angle that "Hood" posted.img058.jpg
  • edited July 2016
    The fire report from 1934 Hotel Kerns fire (this negative is from July of 1934) suggests that it is the Central Heating Plant. CV7afOlWwAER-U4.jpg
  • Rads, where did you find the old fire maps? I ask because I recently wrote CADL about why they got rid of their subscription to them and they informed it was because not enough people were using the subscription to justify the costs. I've been able to find some for Lansing just randomly online, but nothing comprehensive like the CADL subscription.
  • edited July 2016
    The fire map was found while searching online. I think it came from a Tumblr or Flicker page that had Michigan history as a theme. This one came from there also....tumblr_nyld8sAEmL1ts4zhlo1_r1_1280.jpg It is very hard to read, but helps with the changes to the streets due to "progress". I have a large amount of negatives that I think are from the River, Grand, and Kalamazoo Street area and with some heading south to where I-496 is now located.
  • I took another look at the drawing on google and I missed the second story arched windows. There it sits right behind the LSJ, maybe it was part of the power plant.

I would like to see photos of the neighborhoods where 496 is now. Thank you for posting these interesting photos.
  • edited August 2016
    Finally can positively identify the building above, more scans and I realized this is the building from the edge of the river looking north. REO town and the sign for "The Speedwagon" are visible on the right. It is the old steam heat plant where Ottawa Station sits now.img082.jpg
  • Nice content. I think that current regional and downtown development efforts are great but they don't incorporate the history of Lansing and the region in creating a sense of place. Exposing the history and background of a place and its people is as important as any other element in attracting amd retaining more residents. In EL one rarely hears about the history of Lansing. Is there even a museum dedicated to local history. I would like to see LEAP and local econ dev authorities at least establish some sort of event dedicated to local history. There could be a monthly event in a different area of the city dedicated to talking and showing artifacts about that area's history.