Lansing History

Comments

• I was surprised to see that both Elderly and Marshall had music stores in downtown EL!

• It looks like Grand River was always a parking lot.

• edited July 2018

Much is often complained about in old comparison photos of the differences between now and the "good, ole days." But I'm always struck by the utter lack of greenery along our major streets back then, and just how much dirtier/unkempt it made everything look:

In another old shot, we are along Grand River looking east near Evergreen:

• edited July 2018

The Lansing State Journal did an awesome piece on the Porter Apartments at Lenawee and Townsend on Reutter Park.

Lots of interesting facts in there I had no idea about. Almost as soon as it opened in 1918 it's kitchen was essentially commandeered to feed patients of the deadly Spanish flu pandemic that swept the world that year. It housed all kinds of state dignitaries during its years as an apartment building, usually prominent state workers in town for a few months out of the year.

By 1938, a Detroit developer who also operated the Roosevelt Hotel north of the Capitol reconstructed the interior of the building to operated it as a hotel: The Hotel Porter. In 1960, a group of Detroit brothers bought the property and expanded it by adding the 147-room motel that stood at the corner of Lenawee and Capitol and renamed it the Capitol Motor Park Hotel. I had no idea this old motel was operated as an extension of the Porter. I can't remember exactly what year the old motel was demolished, but it was right around the turn of the millennium, because the Michigan Catholic Conference was completed on the site by 2002. I got a chance to go into the old motel right before they demolished it, and boy had it been done in. I don't recall when hotel went vacant, but in any case the article says that the Porter was turned back into apartments in the early 1980's.

These days, the building is owned by a California-based real estate company who operates the building as senior housing with about 100 one-bedroom apartments.

Porter Apartments

• It is a great building, I did not remember that is was part of the modern motel they build next door. These days I would like to see them take better care of it. The derelict Y building next door does not help. I was also wondering why the fountain has not been running, it looked really great last year.

• The Y is being demolished; I believe they are still in the interior demolition stage. The city permit for interior demolition it active until October, I believe.

Given the current usage for low-income seniors, the Porter has actually been kept up better than I thought it would. It's a relatively rough neighborhood. So to see it completely occupied and kept clean is fairly impressive.

• Thanks for the link to the EL pic Mich. Based on the cars, I'd guess that was taken in the early 50s... just look at those beautiful tall trees down the median!!!

• I picked up my sister from Cali. at the Flyer stop in E.L., she went to MSU in the 60's and she was quite shocked to see E.L. 2018. We drove back down Michigan Ave. and I pointed out what may be the last elm tree of the elms that once lined the median from the east side of Lansing down through downtown E.L... This tree is in the area just west of the 127 overpass.