Streets & Transit

Comments

• edited August 2019

MDOT posted this old photo about two weeks ago looking at South Cedar Street in 1947:

There is only one significant hill on the street, and slopes down from Paris to Holmes. So we are looking from east side of the street down the hill with Holmes at the base, I think. But I'm not sure how far south of Paris we are.

Is this the description, or are we maybe on a different part of the street?

• edited August 2019

The city's public service department posted this photo today of the complete worked on Cesar Chavez/Grand River:

• Is there any hope of converting Saginaw/Oakland into 2 way roads? I'm new around here, and the fact that people drive at 50/60 mph on those streets is honestly just dangerous, and makes me really scared as a pedestrian and hell, even when I drive on them.

• This route is a state highway so perhaps the state could help Lansing with these busy ugly dangerous streets. I wonder if back when they turned the streets one way, was it a state or city project in the first place? In other words I wonder if the city could just reconfigure the streets without state involved. I don't think that having two large two way streets would create huge traffic problems, Short of that the city could lower the speed limit, and even thought it is great to go with the green lights as you pass through town perhaps some red lights along the way to slow traffic and break up the packs of cars that are traveling at high speed to keep up with the green lights could help. I would like to see Cedar and Larch be two way and slower streets as well. We have a east west crosstown freeway 496 and north south 127 where you can drive at 70 mph, if they fixed all of those routes making them safer and more pleasant to drive maybe more people in a hurry would use them if the other routes were now slower two way streets. Just my thoughts on the issue.

• The thing is I'm pretty sure the limit is 35 mph...people drive insanely fast despite that

• Several other Michigan cities have taken state highways through their city and converted them to two way. I asked the mayor if Lansing has petitioned the state to do this or has plans to do this. I have not received a response back. Maybe you could inquire again.
  • edited September 2019
    I was up on Wood Road, today, and noticed that the path for the new portion of Coleman Road (the portion that doesn't follow the rail corridor) has already started to be beaten. This is the extension of the road which will connected Wood Road with West Road under US-127. This will allow for some traffic traveling west from the Northern Tier to avoid the busy part of Lake Lansing at the freeway. My only worry is that Wood is already pretty busy between Granger and tons of gravel trucks; it is always dusty and dirty. I think they may end up having add an additional lane to Wood at least south from where Coleman will intersect it. I guess a positive is that it'll have a non-motorized path along its entire length and bike lanes on the East Lansing portion of the new road.

colemanroadextension_map.jpg?itok=WloY7hoD

There was an EastLansingInfo piece from the end of August that talks about the bid having been late, but this still means the new road will open next spring. C&D Hughes out of Charlotte is the contractor for the project, and C2AE out of Lansing was the engineer.
  • This is interesting, I had not considered that they would have to move the signals and street lights. It is cool to be around to see this change back to two-way streets. I can not remember when they were two-way in the old days so the streets have had this configuration for over 50 years. There is no need to move traffic like when thousands of more vehicles were downtown so it is a good time for a change. I hope drivers don't flip out about this change.
  • I drove down the newly paved South Capitol Avenue!, it is such a great improvement it's like we became part of the United States again! As a person who grew up here, the condition of that street was a score of embarrassment and shame to me. Of course, the good pavement ends right at St. Joe where the intersection is still pitted with potholes but we are heading in the right direction!