Streets & Transit

1363738394042»

Comments

• Today in the LSJ.com an artical pointed out that there will the need for at least 7,500 housing units in Greater Lansing due to many large employers opening new facilities that will offer thousands of new jobs. It seems like we are improving the infrastructure [roads drains power production sewers etc.] for that, but not in the housing area. My ideas about a new MLK which I think could be a two wide lane straight boulevard [in the path of old Logan Street] with wide sidewalks bike lanes, and smaller median with "Michigan left turns" and left turn lanes at traffic lights. This would open up a lot of space for housing development.
    I hope that I have added some interesting opinions and observations. I am not an expert in any of these areas, but I do remember the old Logan Street which was very busy of course but full of life homes businesses and the thing that the big boulevard and M-99 projects never included which is people. These days a lot of folks will support or not support an issue having not much knowledge about the issue they are opining about. [support for Hamas, MAGA, all guns all the time, stop support for Ukraine, keep the boulevard] which make no sense to people on the other side of their position, I hope that I am not one of those people. I have been interested in Lansing development since I was a boy in the '60s. which is why I really enjoy this site. I don't think we really need "gate keepers" to keep people on subject, or pointing out someone's post if they find it inappropriate, as this is a casual discussion site, IMO not a professional site, so it's OK to be wrong about something or have it pointed out. I enjoy the more technical observations by folks who do know more about these issues than I do, but I believe there is a space for everyone expert or not. "Be nice" is my moto!
  • I'd agree with you @gbdinlansing. I'd love to see some hybrid of this plan. The median is huge, and 6 lanes are definitely not needed. Is it really necessary to removed the median? Any street in the area that has a middle lane is often used for many other purposes than what it's intended for. People use it for merging, passing, etc. I feel like a reduced median that maintains the Michigan lefts and reduced lanes would be safer and something most, on both sides of the argument, could get behind.

Also, love your motto lol.
  • I'd think a four lane boulevard with a wider median than what the city was proposing should reasonably satisfy most parties, I'd be all for it. I generally like boulevards when there's space and a need for them.