Lansing Board of Water & Light

Comments

• Okay, I thought you guys were talking about them extending the path behind the substation along the river to the River Trail on Elm Street, which definitely isn't planned. They are simply talking about access to the street level from the River Trail on the south side of the river, which is an incidental/indirect connection.

We did have some overviews earlier in the thread, but it appears the hosting site for those photos is down. I do remember some overhead site plans.

• It's worth mentioning, since the last large update to this site in December 2016, you can now upload pictures directly to the site when posting, and they'll stay up for as long as this site stays around (which I hope to be forever ;) )

• Jared, found the old site plans showing the loop trails (pg. 5):

http://lansingenergytomorrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/BWL-Central-Substation-Announcement-02-05-2016.pdf

The only new construction seems to be walkway behind and next to the site. There was never any planned extension of the River Trail along the north bank, though as we talked about there will be a new access to the River Trail from Washington on the south bank.

The "loop trails" literally appear to be what they are labeling the existing sidewalks. lol

• I am hope again that these pathways or what ever they call them, mean that they are putting down new sidewalks, perhaps with trees or landscaping. The latest final drawings do not include areas like the "fishing platform" on the south bank and S. Washington access. Are those features still a part of the plan? I was thinking that the S. Washington access is the connection [or extension] of the river trail, that it would connect the river trail to the pathways around the substation via the S. Washington bridge.

• edited August 2017

Thanks for finding this presentation. Yeah, it seems I was misunderstood. I can't see anybody wanting to travel down the "yellow" portion of Townsend Street as part of one of the loops. It's just parking lots on both sides with no sun protection and nothing of value to visit or see really.

I think it's important that we hold the BWL to their plan of the fishing platform and other walkways. Those could easily be forgotten and never created.

It would also be nice if there was a ramp of some sorts connecting Washington Ave to the river trail to help bikers and people that can't do stairs well. Without the ramp, people need to travel down to Hazel St and go through the parking lots to get up to Washington Ave.

• A ramp access would have to be on the eastern side of the street given how close Fountain Place Apartments property is to the trail. Either way, it's not really that incoveniant. There are two access on either side of Elm. Everything is really too steep and curvy around Washington, anyway, so I'm not disappointed it's just going to be an access staircase.

• I have not seen but heard work beginning over there. I guess they are starting with moving the garden wall "stone by stone" {is there another way to move a stone wall?}. I hope they do build the walkways they depicted, it seems like they extended to downtown. Even it they made the walk over the 496 bridges safer and more pleasant that would really help get people over to REOtown from downtown. OK this is my last thought on a bike connection,[and maybe it was in my plans for the area,] but I thought the ramp was a spiral that would have been mostly over the river hooking up with the bridge deck on the south side of the river next to Fountain Place.

• The BLW has installed new LED street lights on Elm Street west of S Washington. I do like how these lights only illuminate the area directly below, not above, making less light,[night sky] pollution. However the light they do shine is very cold and takes the color out of everything. I wish they would put amber lenses on the lamps, like on S Washington. They provide a much nicer atmosphere while still brightly lighting the street.

• edited December 2017

Well, well, well...

As part of its plans to shutdown all of it's coal-fired power plants, the Lansing Board of Water & Light announced it's replacement for the Erickson Station in Delta Township, today.

BWL to build $500 million natural gas power plant in Delta Twp.

By Sarah Lehr | Lansing State Journal

December 18, 2017

LANSING — The Lansing Board of Water & Light plans to build a $500 million natural gas-fired power plant at the site of the coal-fired Erickson Power Plant in Delta Township, part of its drive to reduce the city's dependence on coal.

Construction of the new plant will create 1,200 temporary jobs. The project is expected to conclude by 2021.

The city-owned utility has promised to bring the Erickson Power Plant offline by 2025. It has also pledged to retire the Eckert Power Plant in Lansing's REO Town by 2020.

The elimination of Lansing's two remaining coal-powered plants will reduce the city's carbon emissions by 80%, according to the BWL.

The project also includes the relocation of its Penn-Hazel operations facility out of a floodplain on Lansing's eastside to the site of the former Fisher Body plant on Lansing's far-westside, which the city has been trying to get redevelopment on for years, now.

• That article did not have a nameplate generation capacity. Does anyone have further details? Erickson is rated at 155-megawatt capacity and Eckert at 375Mw.