General Lansing Development

Comments

• I will try writing this new guy, there are a lot of stores that could some help. The one that you are talking about has really nice people working there, however, the refrigerated-cases are beaten up and permanently dirty, and the parking lot is broken up and full of potholes. I could see stores that are each a bit unique that honor and celebrate the neighborhood they are in. Right now they are all a "bit unique" but not in a good way. I do go there all the time and it really makes happy when I get my free milk day!

• edited January 2018

I'm very excited about Walter French Junior High School. I bought a house in that area and I keep wondering if I'll see much appreciation in the next ten years. It's hard to say, though projects like that would certainly be a help. I'm hoping that redevelopment in REO Town and along Cedar will give the area some momentum. McLaren moving definitely won't help.

I noticed that somebody is doing some work at 1826 South Cedar Street (northwest corner of Cedar & Mt. Hope) on the old gas station. I have no idea what the plan is.

• They've been working on that old gas station building forever. It's supposed to be a convenience store, but they've been working on it for years.

• It is true that station has been under some sort of rehabilitation for a long time, but there is some newer[in the autumn] action taking place with some[new to me] foundations walls added on the north side. This is one four corners in Lansing that could be a center for that neighborhood instead of kind of a dead spot that people race through on Cedar Street.

• I hadn't realized that the corporate leadership had changed over at QD, but that does explain why they've actually started renovating the exteriors of some of their tired properties and the headquarters. I've even noticed some work being done to the mechanicals on the Cedar/Saginaw store, which I agree is probably the worst QD store eyesore.

They mention in the article that they're going to open a renovated concept store soon in Holt, so I'll be eager to see what that looks like...

... and on that note, I really wish they'd update their logo. It looks so outdated and 80s, with the red/white/black color scheme and the fine lines and words written in barely legible font. A simple, big red (or Spartan green, perhaps???) block Q in the original retro font would look smashing IMO!

• Saw the QD article, wasn't aware of the corporate change at QD either. The QD in Holt has been closed for a few months now due to fire, so it makes sense that it would be the first store upgraded. Otherwise I can think of others that are probably in worse condition. The East Lansing QD, (on Grand River east of campus), the exterior is average, but the tile floor inside is quite bad (ripped up in places). The QDs at Jolly/Dunkel, in Okemos, and in Haslett are all fairly nice (and have laundromats - probably has nothing to do with it, but an interesting coincidence).

• It's true that Quality Dairy is kind of a symbol that says you are in the Lansing area and we have our own brand of corner stores here. I think it would be great if QD did more to bring their store up to date, and more attractive, so a tourist might say "in Lansing, they have these really great corner stores called Quality Dairy".

• I think QD's image is perfect as-is. It screams, "We're fumpy, sour cream in everything is our secret ingredient and we love to get hand-dipped ice cream from decrepit gas stations! Oh, and I think I have just enough money for another lotto ticket thanks to that deal on cigarette cartons." I wouldn't want it to change for the world.

• Yes, I think that is what people will agree is the situation at most of their stores, maybe that's what people like, they certainly are busy enough. I was saying that QD is a Lansing business that could benefit from a whole new plan and image, upgrading all of their stores into the 21st century. They could go from being a local joke to being a point of local pride. This is our own Lansing dairy with the best milk, our own Lansing bakery, a place you can get good coffee cheap, look at these nice stores! Something like that.

• I'm sure upgrading the existing QDs would probably be better for sales in the long run. But the current QDs are very endearing. People love QD. The logo/signage could be spruced up a bit, but at this point I think staying retro is the way to go, a la Krispy Kreme. I guess I'd rather see QD "refurbished" rather than overhauled.