General Lansing Development

Comments

• for point of reference, the Renaissance Center is 727'

• My idea for the Eckert Station is to turn it into a resort style hotel and indoor water park, I also think that using the smokestacks for attractions such as a swing, bungee or zipline would be a great thing to add. I imagine that a winter garden-style glass canopy would wrap angle down from the north side of the building wrapping around the smokestacks making space for the indoor water park. I've started a 3d model of it but making the glass canopy is going to be difficult for me to make look the way I want it to given my abilities. Here's a rough outline of what I'd be talking about, just to give some scale:

• The new logo is OK, but when I first saw it I did not think "oh that is a reference to the 3 smokestacks", they are all the same height for one thing. There is a jewelry company named Effy that uses a very similar font and logo. To me, if you are going to reference the smokestacks why be so vague about it? I do use the towers as a landmark, and they are kind of unique, like the smokestacks in London featured on the Pink Floyd album cover for "Animals", I'm trying to say I think the towers are cooler looking than this logo indicates. I would not hate it if they did take them down, however. Telling the world we don't use coal anymore!

• @gbdinlansing if you look at the stacks from an angle you will see how well the new logo represents them. But there's also dual meaning. The logo can also represent growth as a rising bar chart, or it could be seen as progress. It's a pretty great logo in my opinion, which is contrary to FB comment sections..unsurprisingly.

I've been on the roof of Eckert and those stacks are much wider in circumference than they look from afar. I'm not an engineer, but it wouldn't surprise me that there's some viability there for something to be built in them.

• https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/7356/Phase-2-Provisioning-Center-License-Application-Criteria-FINAL

WKAR published a short story on how the city updated the approval criteria for provisioning centers. Looks like they have added additional entries to try and steer them away from heavily residential districts. This will only apply to phase 2 applicants, of which there are only going to be 5 of. Phase 1 had 20 approvals supposedly.

On this note, is there a publicly available map of where the approved facilities are located?

• I look at the stacks every day they are right outside my window and I have never seen this angle, but the logo is fine with me! Just a little basic. I have been wondering if they could use the cement stacks as a core/base for a building around the stacks?

• We find out today that a Jackson-based brewery wants to expand into Lansing, and specifically wants the City Market:

FRIDAY, Feb. 15 — As city officials try to boot Waterfront Bar & Grill from the Lansing City Market, competition from Jackson is already looking to move in for the kill — in the form of a new brewery.

John Burtka, the owner of Grand River Brewery in Jackson, has y voiced plans to expand his business operations throughout Mid-Michigan. He wasn’t quite prepared to make a formal announcement this month, but he strongly hinted toward plans to move into the embattled marketplace along the Grand River.

“I’d imagine that there will be some type an announcement forthcoming,” Burtka said. “ Grand River Brewery originally organized there in Lansing, and it indirectly has some history there. We love the Lansing City Market space and we’re looking forward to eventually being a part of the business community there in Lansing.”

Only one hiccup: Waterfront — following a recent order from the Michigan Court of Appeals — is legally entitled to stay inside the market until a state judge rules otherwise. And company officials claimed their existing lease could ultimately give them legal authority to remain there along the riverside for the next several years.

The city thinks otherwise. A hearing is likely be scheduled next month that could offer a final determination.

• This seems misguided and unfair. Is another brewery what we need in our public market? Why would the city want one operation out for basically the same kind of business replacing the one business that made it in that building? I have to wonder about breweries and brew-pubs. How many is too many, how long will this craft beer fad last? Who knows it may just go on and on and if they all make it, Great. I have only been to one HopCat which was OK but not really remarkable. The new one on Michigan Avenue has yet to put up a sign. The one under construction in REOtown is moving along with another set of windows installed this week. I am not really a craft beer fan, give me a Labatt Blue, please! I was hoping that the city would just take the pole barn down and build something really great there.

• edited February 2019

I think it's a "meh" proposal, too; and I'm not happy with the city potentially giving a basic/regular private business the opportunity to squat on the riverfront. A brewery isn't a unique enough business with a wide and diverse enough pull to be given prime, publicly owned space on this part of the riverfront. I also can't imagine Gillespie is happy about this with their brewery basically across the street. I do hope given LEPFA's mission that the City Council shuts this idea down quickly.

All that said, the city was also never going to tear (a practically new building) and then spend millions of dollars to rebuild something nice in its place. Also, Waterfront isn't a brewery; it's a plain old bar and grill, so while a similar use, it's not really the same thing.

• I'd also rather see the market tore down but I'd like to see the land sold to a developer through an RFP, preferably with some stipulation that a high-rise go there.

The fact that the building is new doesn't really save it from demolition, especially given how cheaply built it is. There's not many things a building like that will be good for. If parking could be figured out it would make a great location for a high rise, 20+ floor hotel, something like the JW Mariott in GR.